Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello y'all
In April 2014 I found a trade token at a house on my street. The trade token read
"J.d. Brown" on the obverse and "good for 5 c in trade"
After pondering on it for a while, a fellow member on treasure net concluded that it was from a general store owned by a James d. Brown in 1915 about 10 miles away based on the name The land where my block is was not even developed in 1915, but in the 1930s. But This attribution seemed reasonable at the time.
In February 2015, I found another one at the same location, which niether confirmed or denied the previous attribution. They were both exactly the same. I still thought the token could be from the general store across town in 1915. I figured the people who lived in the house had some relation to j. D. Brown.
This changed when I found a third identical token In a house one street over and 2 blocks away. It is not complete but without a doubt the same token. The house this third token was found in was built in 1950.
The tokens are obviously local but are not in the Louisiana trade token catalog. They were well known enough to be found on 2 streets but not well enough to be in the token catalog or anywhere online.
It now seems unlikely that the same token for a place across town would be found at 2 houses in an area not inhabited for another 20 years. If you have any info on this situation, please chime in. I will be very very grateful. The mystery is driving me nuts. Sorry to ramble on. Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439592857.504683.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439592897.186856.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439592943.454668.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into something similar, it turned out I was detecting where local carnival/fair was held near the turn of the century. It could be something like that.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mysteries, but I'm not good at solving them.
What pg said sounds plausible. A gathering of people that also visited the store, and may have had the tokens in their pockets. See if there is any info on fairs or what not occurring in your area years back.

I found out the fair used to be held where a Jr. High is now, explains the old wheats I find.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible they were used by a farmer as pickers' tokens.

Often migrant farm workers were paid in tokens which could be redeemed at a local store (or a company store) for merchandise.

The pickers were generally paid just a little more in merchandise tokens than if they had been paid in cash, which had the effect of keeping the pickers without cash (and therefore somewhat unable to travel).

Perhaps this was farmland before it was developed.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FINDER . NICE OLD TOKENS YOU HAVE THERE AND PLATE IS A NEAT ONE ALSO.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unique !looking tokens

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant offer much help on the ID, but I like them, very cool!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The theories are endless, people walked, rode horses, drove motor cycles, and drove cars all in that time frame. The land has always been there since the beginning of time. The buildings pop up where ever and when ever, doesn't mean they have to correlate.

They are very cool tokens , stop thinking so much and go out and find some more, jk lol.
Nice finds!

OP
OP
wheatfinder13

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting