Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks may think it's a hoax.
Is it?

I will tell my story here and post a pic.
You all can decide for yourselves.

Alright I have this rather large old site (100 acres) in total, but over the last 6 years plus I have been hunting what I believe to be the key areas based on where structures stood, where the old town was ( town was deactivated around 1817) and some Intel gathered by another detectorist who lives nearby.

I have ran some nice, very good detectors in these keys areas, Deus with both 9" and 11" LF coils a bunch.
How many silver anythings did I find with Deus and LF coils??
Notta

Previously before I got wrapped into Deus unit, I found 4 mercs and one Spanish 2 bit and 1 engagement or wedding ring silver with Etrac, 1 one bit Spanish bit with CTX and stock coil. Both of these bits found with Minelab were deep,,like 10" deep.
Need to add here, one war nickel found in one of the key areas with Nokta Impact and small coil, this find actually broke a long dry silver steak here.
Like I said other detectors run in these keys areas, used smaller coils on them as well.
Again nothing notta silver anything found.

Fast forward to Deus and HF coil, remember I haven't had this coil very long, and I had to try and get proficient using it.
So far using it in these key areas, a total of 3 silvers found,,a 1 bit Spanish, an even smaller bit Spanish, and a half dime today.

This HF coil is what I call a vacuum cleaner.
In an old site where modern trash is limited, you turn this baby loose get ready to search and destroy a site.
No joking here, and I don't want to insinuate this coil finds all nonferous in iron,,,but it does extremely well both in open ground and in nail pits.

Depth too in my ground is very good for HF coils size.
It is quiet running in the hot program.

I am not telling anyone to buy this coil.
I don't work for XP either.
But I can say in old civil war sites, old home sites,,,,even if they are hard hunted previously, don't discount this coil as finding a goodie or 2 left behind.

This coil has the ability to when it breaks over iron shallow to really punch down and give a person separation to boot.

I run 28.8khz mainly, I think this is where the performance is for relic hunters, old coin hunters too in hard busted sites.

Any site that has been good to a person in the past, this coil just might smoke more out.

The gold coins even the tiny $1 gold is sure in trouble moreso when someone is swinging one of these coils and has it set up correctly for soil and site.

Even a reactivity setting of 2.5 with -1 silencer, this coil can latch on to a 10" dime.
The audio this coil provides is very telling in polluted sites, much more intelligent than the 9" LF coil and even the round HF coil (I have the round HF too).

If a person gets a chance to hunt with someone using the elliptical, I think you'll come away liking it very much.

The key is use in a site with little or no modern trash.
For the record here I have loads of detecting time (I think since 2013, maybe 2012)using Deus LF coils, not much though since acquiring the HF coils.

Will post a pic of the old silver finds found this far using.

90pzyw.jpg
f

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed

The HF elliptical has replaced my 9" HF as my go to coil at my favorite pounded sites.

Now if I were hunting a new site, I might start with the 9 or 11" LF coils and after pounding switch to the HF Eliptical.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am glad to read this. Picked up a the HF elliptical recently and I feel like I'm starting over on my learning curve. Thanks for the encouragement.... now I just need to get a site that's not littered with modern trash. :)

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am glad to read this. Picked up a the HF elliptical recently and I feel like I'm starting over on my learning curve. Thanks for the encouragement.... now I just need to get a site that's not littered with modern trash. :)

Some more info.
This 100 acres above had an old fort standing back in 1795-1800 approx.

A local university excavated this fort site, and when done they put so e zinc washers in the site intentionally.
Well, these zinc washers, some are deep, some are shallow, some are on edge.
I took my HF elliptical a coil there to listen to some of these washers and dig, and tried my best to see what depth and their orientation in the ground.

This really helped my learning curve with coil.

All I can say,,my recommendation is run 28.8khz,,Reactivty between 2 and 3 mostly depending on site.
Set your audio response to 5.
Any signal that doesn't grunt,,watch those.
And the fainter sounding,,with no grunt but tone is trending more towards iron tone.

You will be surprised.
Recognizing iron wrap is not easy, will take some time.
A person will dig some iron,,everyone will IMO even if they run this coil for 50 years.
One thing I do notice.
You see this too.
Coil and detector will high tone sometimes on a nail that is suspended vertically.
And there is a high chance you'll miss the nail when digging plug.
You keep looking and you find it.
Can drive you crazy at first.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine tomorrow but I have been cleaning up with the nine hf coil.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine tomorrow but I have been cleaning up with the nine hf coil.

Maybe you think you have been cleaning up. Virgin detected or not so hard hunted sites can and do produce,,but eventually that kind of action will cease or get extremely slow.
That is what I thought too using the LF coils.
Just a hint.
And btw, for this elliptical to give advantage, nails and iron don't have to be overly thick either.
Actually when the Nails are spaced a bit,,,,this allows the HF elliptical to punch deep off to the side of them. You may indeed dig a 8-10" deep target off to the side of a nail using.

Odds are hunting behind 9" LF coil using 18khz and the round HF coil, your finds pouch won't be runneth over.
But how many half dimes, gold coins, 3 cent nickel ( tough azz target to get) does it take to make a hunt supreme?
And don't forget, let's say the weather is threatening, or you don't have a lot of time to travel to site and hunt, or don't have any new sites to hunt,,,,ENTER HF elliptical coil.

I wouldn't be afraid to hunt any site with the elliptical that has good detecting find history.

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, I agree 100%....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you think you have been cleaning up. Virgin detected or not so hard hunted sites can and do produce,,but eventually that kind of action will cease or get extremely slow.
That is what I thought too using the LF coils.
Just a hint.
And btw, for this elliptical to give advantage, nails and iron don't have to be overly thick either.
Actually when the Nails are spaced a bit,,,,this allows the HF elliptical to punch deep off to the side of them. You may indeed dig a 8-10" deep target off to the side of a nail using.

Odds are hunting behind 9" elliptical using 18khz and the round HF coil, your finds pouch won't be runneth over.
But how many half dimes, gold coins, 3 cent nickel ( tough azz target to get) does it take to make a hunt supreme?
And don't forget, let's say the weather is threatening, or you don't have a lot of time to travel to site and hunt, or don't have any new sites to hunt,,,,ENTER HF elliptical coil.

I wouldn't be afraid to hunt any site with the elliptical that has good detecting find history.

I will put it on the site behind where I found the trime and button we worked it hard the other day. Will update how it does there.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be posting here more often.
Will try to do better in the future.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a good site!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like the HF Elliptical coil.
Although I own the 9 & 11" LF coils, I started with the HF elliptical coil first at the beach. With the remote in my pocket, I went by tones only.
The small coil performed great thanks to calabash digger's youtube videos. The separation was awesome with this little coil and didn't take long to hear what it was trying to tell you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions