chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer, here in Texas we had a major drought and our ground conditions were extremely bad no moister at all... I'd say digging into this dirt was as hard as digging into rock... I broke a shovel blade over the summer because of this... not the handle the metal blade, it bent and snapped back several times until a crack started... then its pretty much useless after that.

I wonder how the hard dry Texas soil compares to the frozen soil you guys get up north...

Is it just as tough?

Does it get easier to dig after digging down so many inches?

I'm just curious how it is else where.

Chukers

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I could go dig into the ground and cut it like butter, but it's also been 40s here recently.

Personally, I don't understand why people hunt in frozen ground. I just wait until the spring thaw hits instead of trying to force a lesche into a solid block of ice and dirt.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in sothern N.Y. State near Watkins Glen the ground is hard in the mornings and a little softer by late afternoon so i am not digging much as of now Buuuttttt soon.
I don`t want to make a mess it freeses and then soft and sloppy by afternoon,so i an still waiting.But i did get out yesterday 50 degrees just dinked around with my detector,but did not even take a digger.
Gary G.A.P.metal

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in West Michigan, 20 miles North of Muskegon, I do not have any Frost in the Ground and very little snow, if any.
I worked in Houston for a few monthes, That ground was like Cement.
I would say that it is just a little bit softer then Frost.
Strange Winter here.

mr-dig-it

May 23, 2009
Here in Pennsylvania, a few years ago, during a typical winter when the ground was frozen, I tried digging some parsnips from my garden. I was swinging a pick and the ground shattered with dirt and ice flying in all directions. With every swing this happened. I never did get the parsnips.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The time I went out before last (two weekends ago), the ground was frozen for just the first half inch or so, but was only like that in the shadowed north sides of trees and buildings. Anywhere winter sun can hit was good. It was ALL GOOD last weekend!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheOldMan said:
I hunt both Texas and up north. Yeah your right - Texas in the summertime the ground is like concrete - I saw a cowboy drop a silver dollar one time and the coin bounced right back up into his pocket... :P The coinshooting is a lot better up north as I believe that folks are more active outside and when they drop anything in the snow they can't find it or don't want to freeze their fingers looking for it. A lot of hunters hit wooden areas when the ground gets cold as the layer of leaves doesn't freeze as fast. In the real hot Texas summers the parks and other places hardly have anyone out and about. I feel that older private yards are the best shot but not when the ground is all dried out of course.

yeah I do hunt a lot of yards... that is where some of my best finds have been found... but you are very correct if something drops here its easy to be found because it on top of the dry hard dirt.

Chukers

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just moved to Tucson from North Dakota. Winters wher I'm from are brutal and ground freezes down to over 3 feet. Digging (Trying) in that stuff is worse than trying to dig through a sidewalk. On top of the -40 temps it just makes more sense to wait till spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread