How is Anyone Making Money on Cheap Ebay Listings?

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only sell small/light items that would fit in a padded envelope. I would print the labels online. I bought the padded envelopes in bulk online. I would go to the post office in the old days and my small PO Box was so full of checks you couldn't get another one in it. There was always a card in my PO box that said to pick up the rest of your mail/checks at the counter.
It was awesome back then. It would take me over 2 hours each Monday just to open the envelopes, fill out the bank deposit slip for all of the money I received.
The good ole days...

Yep... I was doing a little back then.. It was profitable when it first started, low fees,etc... Buy a watch or most any item cheap and sell it for a bunch!! Now, everyone uses it as a price guide and it's hard to buy. Well, not as easy as it was years ago. :laughing7: Kind of like scrap gold today too.... Everyone woke up to it since the prices are high, and everyone wants way more than it's actually worth. They don't seem to understand people have to cover costs too...

Oh well!! There was a lot of money to be made in the past! It's way harder now! I was looking at stuff I printed out that I sold years ago on ebay... My total cost on a $1175 sale was something around $40 bucks and that was with the shipping!! That's unheard of today!!:laughing7:

And I don't know if anyone remembers Ebay use to have monthly packages, You paid so much per month and that really cut the fees. I don't remember all the details it has been a long time now. But I was looking recently and they don't have anything near what they had in the past. They are shaving small percents with the packages now. The old ones were something like $79 or $99 a month and I don't believe there was much of anything for fees with the package...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an item listed for 99 cents and enough shipping to cover a large flat rate box. I make most my money from bigger stuff but when I get nice stuff in a box of stuff (at auctions) I sell the 1 thing I buy the box for then the rest of the stuff just sits. Eventually I get fed up and lost everything at an auction for 99 cents plus shipping.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense I just got wisdom teeth out.

It makes perfect sense!! You didn't lose any wisdom! I know when I had mine out? I had posts all over this site that made no sense( not that they normally make sense:laughing7:) from the pain killers! :laughing7:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm by a lot of bulk stuff. The lowest of the stuff will be $8.99. However sometimes I put stuff on sale and the prices go lower. I don't make a killing off that stuff. Lately though I have had people who will come in and spend $50 or hundred dollars and they pick up some of the cheaper items as well. I guess I was raised poor, if I can make $4 or $5 off something and I have the time to list, I'll throw it up there. And just be grateful for what I get. Mainly it's when I have several items similar and I can just do sell similar. And make it quick.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We, too, have thought of getting started trying to sell some things off. Right now we have nearly a full 48' semi trailer of things to get rid of - mostly knick-knacky and older/vintage stuff, tools, baseball cards, etc, but ALL in really great condition. Everything has been picked up from many years of not having any way to get rid of it here. We just got cellular internet to this area last Fall, but that's much more expensive than other internet, plus it's very unreliable. At any moment we could lose internet for 2-3 weeks!

Most of the things we have, I see selling online for well over $20, $30 and even higher. ...Talk about a predicament!!

I kind of understand your predicament. I have a packed garage in Ohio. I'm in Ga. The first load cost me Around $1700 to move. The garage is about 10 x 30 and packed!! From victorian furniture to knick knacks and whatever else is in there left over from my "Antique and auction days" Decent stuff, but it's not going to be life changing to sell. But... Enough there that I can't just give it up!! :laughing7: By the time I move it, or pay storage for another year? I could just send it all to an auction and be better off in the end, after moving, time,etc... I still can't bring myself to go up there and do it! That and the work of cleaning it out!!!!! I'll want to keep everything! I bought it because I liked it!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm by a lot of bulk stuff. The lowest of the stuff will be $8.99. However sometimes I put stuff on sale and the prices go lower. I don't make a killing off that stuff. Lately though I have had people who will come in and spend $50 or hundred dollars and they pick up some of the cheaper items as well. I guess I was raised poor, if I can make $4 or $5 off something and I have the time to list, I'll throw it up there. And just be grateful for what I get. Mainly it's when I have several items similar and I can just do sell similar. And make it quick.

I get your point...I've been on both sides of the coin. I don't consider myself poor now( to most people...I'm poor) , because I have everything that I need to survive. No debt. I own everything. But There is no extra money... None right now. But I have seen and lived the other side. And maybe I became spoiled? :laughing7: Actually, I'm sure I did!!! And I want it back!!!:laughing7:

And actually, the smaller cheaper stuff adds up!! When I had a small store, the cheap stuff is what got you through! I probably lost more on it then to think about it.. I would give stuff to kids.. Especially coins. I felt bad taking their money!! They would pick out a coin and dig out a pocket full of change! LOL I'd feel bad and give to them. The bad? The next weekend that kid and 4 or 5 of his friends were back looking at coins!:laughing7: It's cool though! It may have helped spark future interest.

Ok I'm way off topic!! :laughing7: Just got me remembering the fun days!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It makes perfect sense!! You didn't lose any wisdom! I know when I had mine out? I had posts all over this site that made no sense( not that they normally make sense:laughing7:) from the pain killers! :laughing7:
Off-topic, but when in the USAF, I had all 5 of my wisdom teeth removed. Never even needed an aspirin! I -- was -- lucky!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I kind of understand your predicament. I have a packed garage in Ohio. I'm in Ga. The first load cost me Around $1700 to move. The garage is about 10 x 30 and packed!! From victorian furniture to knick knacks and whatever else is in there left over from my "Antique and auction days" Decent stuff, but it's not going to be life changing to sell. But... Enough there that I can't just give it up!! :laughing7: By the time I move it, or pay storage for another year? I could just send it all to an auction and be better off in the end, after moving, time,etc... I still can't bring myself to go up there and do it! That and the work of cleaning it out!!!!! I'll want to keep everything! I bought it because I liked it!! :laughing7:
:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2: Yep, you understand perfectly! :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell the 1 thing I buy the box for then the rest of the stuff just sits. Eventually I get fed up and lost everything at an auction for 99 cents plus shipping.
Here I will give you some wisdom back.

I do not know what you have left over but on ebay people have auctions and call them "junk drawer" it is just a bunch of stuff that might be for one gender and/or age group. Some sell for pretty good money. When I go to yard sales I look for stuff that might pass for a junk drawer category.

look up junk drawer, junk drawer coins, junk drawer crafts, etc. Here are some better sold auctions. They all look like auctions I could do now if I decided to pull from my boxes of yardsale junk. Some auction do not do quite as well.

Junk Drawer Lot of American Coins with Lots of Silver

Vintage Junk Drawer Mens Jewelry Stuff Tin Lot

Junk Drawer High Value Lot in Large Tube U s World Coins 100 yr Old

Vintage Junk Drawer Lot Watches US Coins Currency Pocket Knives 925 Silver

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have sold exactly one junk drawer lot. I got more than I thought I would but I think it was less than 10 bucks. I'm not opposed to doing another one, but I just didn't care for selling like that. Perhaps I should try again...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two Junk drawer and one I listed as Not so Junk, Junk drawer. I also do toy box clean out, closet cleanout. Basic items that don't sell by them self but do ok in bulk.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two Junk drawer and one I listed as Not so Junk, Junk drawer. I also do toy box clean out, closet cleanout. Basic items that don't sell by them self but do ok in bulk.

I just did an ebay search on your subjects:

toy box clean out & got 11 hits
not so junk & got 10 hits with only 2 being appropriate
closet cleanout & got 24 hits with most being purses or shoes
closet clean out (with space) & got 68 hits and same girl stuff
junk drawer lot & got 2479 hits with all sorts of merchandise
junk drawer (no lot) & got 3435 hits with all sorts of merchandise

I also noticed when doing this research ebay gives "related" suggestions
one of the related suggestions for junk drawer was "estate lot" and it had 12559 hits & 25225 sales

So it looks like you need to use different key words in the subject line.
looks like I hijacked the cheap ebay listing thread

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did an ebay search on your subjects:

toy box clean out & got 11 hits
not so junk & got 10 hits with only 2 being appropriate

So it looks like you need to use different key words in the subject line.
looks like I hijacked the cheap ebay listing thread

It has been awhile I could not find them either. I save up stuff to have a decent junk drawer. Right now I am working on a toy box clean out. Pokeman PVC figures, monopoly tokens, what I think are star war figures. Will toss in a couple of LEGO minifigures. I try to keep the actual junk out. If the transformers don't sell I will put a couple of those in.

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got started on ebay buying junk drawer lots and reselling the contents!! Back in the day, you could find some good stuff and make some good money.

Now at estate sales I am trying to avoid small stuff altogether, to the point of trying to walk away if it is not potentially a $100+ item. I make 20% less money but do 80% less work, feels like.

I found some books on samuri swords last month, bought 10 for $200, sold 6 of them so far for $800.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a garage sale on Fathers day in 101* heat. It was jumbled mess. Just what I like. It was a real garage sale. Gramps died and they want to sell everything. I spotted a box of vintage electronic parts. Guess gramps fixed old TVs and such. There were a lot of loose pieces everywhere. The box said make offer. I said how about $2.00 if I can fill it with old loose electronics? SOLD, it took two of us to carry to my car. Seller was happy because he did not have to load in his car for goodwill (which he mentioned a few times)

Well now I have to sort out and weigh. I am going to have a VINTAGE ESTATE ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER CLEAN OUT sale. Got to squeeze in all the key words. I might have enough to have 4 or 5 lots.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to have a VINTAGE ESTATE ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER CLEAN OUT sale. Got to squeeze in all the key words.

I tested with all the words:
VINTAGE ESTATE ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER CLEAN OUT sale (got zero hits)
then
VINTAGE ESTATE ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER (got zero hits)
then
VINTAGE ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER (got 7 hits)
then
ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER (got 35 hits)
then
VINTAGE JUNK DRAWER (got 1305 hits)

Guess I will start with this and add more info in the body. I paid $2.00 for everything and got 7 good 3 lb lots of electronics plus extra junk I threw in from this buy. I think I will ask $19.50 each lot and do "free Shipping"

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often wondered the same thing. There just isn't any money to be made on 99 cent auctions. I go by the rule that if I can't make 5 bucks or more on an item, then I won't list it. I have one garage sale per year. The 2 or 3 dollar items, and heavy or bulky items, go in the sale. A lot of people sell in flea markets, they love these kind of items because they can sell the 2 or 3 dollar items for more and make a profit. I don't do flea markets, so that kind of stuff sells quickly at my garage sale. Usually, the 2 or 3 dollar items I picked up for a dollar or less, so both parties are making money in the end.:icon_king:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if this is allowed but here is a link to one of my auctions Lot of 10 Verizon Used Micro Size Sim Cards I pretty much do what trdhedr does on these. Phone resellers love these, I paid about one cent each and sell 10 for $12.50 and I have four different "good" SIM card brands.
Only thing that does not match 007 is I only get 3-4 orders a week. But I still have thousands of these SIMs.

When I get trash cell phones I get about 200-300 trashed SIM cards for every thousand phones. I pull those and sell 100 for $12.50 to gold recyclers. I basically get those for free.
I am not much of a Tech. person so why would some one buy a SIM card that is inactive and can not be reactivated ?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not much of a Tech. person so why would some one buy a SIM card that is inactive and can not be reactivated ?
Because even if you were technically talented, I believe you would be honest enough to still not know the answer to your question. ...How's that for an answer?? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread