How is this eBay Listing Possible?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
http://cgi.ebay.com/UNSEARCHED-BANK...83?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35b39c4277

I know this is a topic that has come up before, but how in the world does someone sell one roll of halves for $50? The listing clearly is meant to prey on newbies as he has a picture in listing of a Peace dollar with a WL?? He does indicate these coins are not included, but come on - why would you even put that in the listing for no other reason than to try to sucker people in.

Even with the fees, this guy is making a killing.

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Unless people are finding solid amounts of silver in this guys rolls they are getting robbed blind. I've never seen that many bids on a lot like that.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I don't see anything wrong with selling these "unsearched rolls" of halves on eBay, but this particular seller using two coins that you will NEVER find in a roll of half dollars is pretty lame. Peace Dollars and Standing Liberty Quarters don't fit into rolls of half dollars.

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
No, he's making a killing selling one OUNCE copper rounds for $2 - $5 each when copper is below $5 a POUND!!!!

Makes me wish I had thought of it!

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
tgcougar said:
No, he's making a killing selling one OUNCE copper rounds for $2 - $5 each when copper is below $5 a POUND!!!!

There's alot of local dealers around me that sell tons of those copper rounds. I prefer the one pound copper brick myself, as they're a much better deal.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
azlegends said:
tgcougar said:

There's alot of local dealers around me that sell tons of those copper rounds. I prefer the one pound copper brick myself, as they're a much better deal.

A buddy of mine has some of those copper bricks. They are marked "Copper Bullion". A few have designs like dragons and eagles on them.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$2.50 per half dollar+shipping... crazy, and it was most likely a skunk roll as well. I can almost* see $50 for a roll with a pre 1964 half dollar on the end(franklin/walker, maybe even barber) ...SCAM!

hh

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I'll bet that is one of his buddys or something... That is the only thing I can think of as to why the feedback posted after paying $50 bucks for a roll of halves, "I think I found a real gem, worth three times what I paid for the roll at least"....... I can smell the B.S. there a mile away..... The guy is a con artist, and I bet he is making a killing....

td31

Jun 27, 2011
all one can hope with auctions like this is the item gets lost in shipping so he loses some money and people stop being so gullible. he'll only keep doing it as long as people hand him money

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think the seller is doing anything wrong. Nobody's forcing those bids, I can't belive the jealousy on here though.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I don't think the seller is doing anything wrong. Nobody's forcing those bids, I can't belive the jealousy on here though.

Agree 100%

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have no problem at all if people list rolls of halves. FFD is absolutely right in that no one is forcing people to bid. However, when people put in pictures of 2 coins in the listing and state in listing "these are two of the coins I have found this week", there is a clear attempt to take advantage.

Jealousy on members here would mean that we wish we could have a listing out there like that and I doubt any of us would post a peace dollar with a SL Quarter picture and imply that we found it while searching one of these rolls he is selling.

Listing a roll of halves without that picture and wording...go for it and all the best to you.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
fistfulladirt said:

I guess you must have missed out on the "petition to get this particular ebayer to stop selling rolls of half dollars" thread. That was a good one.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Some interesting things when you look at his feedback for people who bought these rolls.

"great, didn't find any silver oh well, gambling"

"Not worth the price. There were no silver/valuable coins. I'll go to bank next" - this one gets me... he KNOWS the bank has them for $10 a roll but payed $24 for this one...?

"Coins were alright thanks"

"as described. found nothing in 5 rolls except post 1970 Kennedy halfs."

"awesome seller thanks" - guessing this guy may have found a silver or proof?

"Received item right away and was exactly what I expected it to be. "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread