Tesoro Silver µMax
5 minutes if you hit the right spot. :P :'(

Kristopher

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should know that it isn't about the "gains", but the thrill of the hunt. You'd make more money working at Wendy's part time.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
It has taken a year with one machine in terms of clad, then I have had finds that have paid for a machine with just one find. But looking at Sandman's answer having fun hunting is something one can not put value on. If you have friends to hunt with what value can be placed on that? What if you return a lost wedding ring to a woman in her 80's, say the ring was given to her by her husband who was dead for 12 years, can any value be put on that warm fuzzy?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
for me its about tying into history, not after clad, unless i just have to get out and get a fix, its a great way to enjoy the beauty of mother nature, and realize just how blessed i really am, all the daily crap just flow away

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
How many fish do you have to catch to pay for the bait and tackle?
How many deer do you have to bag to pay the the rifles and 4 x 4 vehicles?
Why are these questions always asked of detectorists and not other hobbyists?

My dad's hobby is betting on the horses at the race track. Last time I inquired he was $5000 down. Now over the past 30 years I have purchased 5 detectors and the total cost hasn't reach that amount. He spends as much as 11 hours on a weekend day at the track getting almost no exercise and can walk away with nothing if he bets wrong. I on the other hand get great exercise and am guaranteed to walk away at least a penny up (not counting gas prices of course).

Like Sandman said it's about the thrill (just like betting on the horses or fishing). I like the idea that at any moment I can pull out something quite valuable. I am also helping the environment by getting all that junk out of the ground and disposing of properly. You would think the environmentalists would love us and our hobby.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Thompy said:
for me its about tying into history, not after clad, unless i just have to get out and get a fix, its a great way to enjoy the beauty of mother nature, and realize just how blessed i really am, all the daily crap just flow away
AMEN!! :icon_sunny:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Sandman. For the most part i only recoup on the clad. Everythingelce id say i keep. I know there will be a time to sell but it truely is a hobby worth just showing what you have found to fellow hunters. We find things that have been long lost and antique hunters are jealous. Do they ever recoup their money... depends on if they sell. I get tired of finding clad and dont want my hunting to be just that. Profit comes in many forms.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question is not really applicable. Most detectorist I know don,t sell their finds. If I found a couple of dozen nice gold/diamond rings or one really good one $2000+, I would sell after trying to locate the owner if possible. By the way taking into account only the cost of the detector I paid for mine in about 3 years, with clad and a couple of rings (if I were to sell them).

Ed D.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I am hoping to buy my next detector with my finds. However most of the stuff I will find I will keep. I am thinking that I would sell only a few items that are not of significance to me, say rings, maybe a coin or two, since I don't have a decent way to store them. Anything of historic significance I would probably offer to a museum, or something less significant I would display myself.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
You should know that it isn't about the "gains", but the thrill of the hunt. You'd make more money working at Wendy's part time.
True True but its that one find we all keep chasing :thumbsup:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massbaycolonist said:
Thompy said:
AMEN!! :icon_sunny:

Double Amen. And don't forget to take your camera.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're talking monetary value not long depending how often you go out. If you're talking perks then probably one or two trips! What hobby / activity are you gonna find that lets you see places others haven't, learn a lot of history, get some good exercise, tons of fresh air (Los Angelinos excluded) and not having a huge cash outlay every weekend. And meet a wide variety of interesting people. And not having to worry about ending up in a cast after that jump last weekend that was 25' higher on the other side than the side you're on ;D

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
THERE IS NO WAY TO PUT A " VALUE " ON FOR A LIFE LONG PASSION. JUST THE
THOUGHT OF PRICING ONE'S SELF IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
so far i found a nail and rusty peice of meatle so at this rate forever? :tongue3:

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
At the rate I am going... about 5000 years. I have only found around 10 coins since I started in 1972.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
At the rate I am going... about 5000 years. I have only found around 10 coins since I started in 1972.
Awww cumon Lumbercamp, ya beat me by one & I started in 1969 with a $19 Bounty Hunter TR if hot rocks nails & Leaverites were worth something I'd be giving Trump a run for his pocketbook.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
strike it rich said:
In terms of the amount you pulled out for your detector how long if ever did it take to recover the inital investment in terms of cash/finds

And what did you spend your gains ons

Yes, absolutely!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread