How long should my Excal Battery Last before Replacement?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Years? hard to pick how long as many factors come into play such as frequency of use, recharge and storage.
I have replaced original Minelab battery packs after 3 to 8 years and a SunRay battery pack after 18 years of use - the SunRay is my PRIMARY battery.
The Minelab pack have been my reserve batter since my first Exclaibur in 1993. That being said: My point at which I replace a battery pack is when the
the detecting time on the batter falls by 1/3 of the original run time. I.e. a new pack, fully charged originally last for 15 hours...and after hundreds of
charges run time falls to 10 hours (2/3rds of 15 - a drop of 1/3 of the run time) I buy a Non-Minelab replacement battery pack. There are battery stores
and one on-line dealer that will sell you a replacement battery pack for far less than Minelab's complete battery with housing pod and last just as well.
I did run into one problem with one Non-Minelab replacement: the pack's shrink tubing was too thick and I had to remove some of it so the pack fit
into the Minelab's pod. This was due to the inside taper of the pod, a necessary feature due to molding process in manufacturing and or the tolerance
of the individual cells used to make up the battery pack of 10 cells. Any questions? Just ask...Good luck detecting and always have a spare battery.

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I bought my Excal. 2 in March of 2009,and finally had to replace it in 2015.I used the Excal. about 2 times a week.

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I mean, that I replaced the battery after 6 years.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long it lasts depends directly on how well you take care of it. If you leave it on charger longer than about 16 hours you have the possibility damaging the battery, leaks into the battery pod will damage the battery too....

If taken care of it should last at least 6 years or longer..

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Great news. I bought a battery pack w charger and turn-off feature/trickle charge 2 yrs ago (expecting original to fail after 1-2 yrs) but hate (after 3+ yrs) to replace a perfectly good battery. Based on discussion, I've decided to buy a pod and construct a back-up. I'll never be stuck alone with a dead detector on the beach again!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had one just die. Normally you notice the amount of hours you get out there decreasing. Also, the blues had a 700 mah and the Xcal II is 1000 mah. The ones WW talked about is 1600 mah....... get the SMART charger for about $20. They come with a light, charge in about any hour, and shut off when charged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread