SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't plan on finding enough jewelry to pay for any of your compadre, but you should be able,to get a few dollars a day in clad, some days a bit more. So 80 days worth of hunts should bring you just about what your detector costs.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the price of batteries. But we don't figure any "profit" or break even point but the fun of it. Fishermen don't count the expense of their gear, boats, etc for the fish they catch. Golfers are worse, they chase a lil white ball around, smacking the pizz out of it and don't eat it.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll depend on what you walk over and dig up. You might pay for it on the first target if it's a nice piece of jewelry or a rare date coin. It also might take you a couple of years just popping clad.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
only one way to find out. start digging.

kingingkunsan

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Goldsboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Tesoro Eldorado
Minelab Explorer II
Tesoro Golden micro Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is going to depend on the site. I have been to schools where I found $10 in 2 hours. Then there are the schools where I am lucky to find $2.
I would say if you purchasing one is dependent on how long it will take to payoff then you may be in the wrong hobby. No disrespect just my opinion. Most of us are not in this to get rich or to pay off our machine. Because if you enjoy this hobby you are always spending money. Pinpointers, upgrade to nicer/better metal detector, new digger, goodies pouch, gloves, batteries, gas for vehicle, etc the list goes on. I do not see a metal detector in you signature box. Look into Bounty Hunter they are super cheap $50-60. Pay it off and continue to use it. Then once you found enough to buy another/better detector go for it. I started with a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 that I got as a present. I found a woman's wedding band that I sold for $150 within the first year. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first dabble in detecting. I'm finding it hard justifying 200$ when I'm not sure how often ill be able to hunt. Just testing the water with a harbor freight detector right now and only turned up junk!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throne, something to consider, if you buy a good detector and decide you dont like the hobby, you can get most of your money bak on a resale here.... If you buy a cheap detector and decide you like hobby your going to want to up grade, and it want be worh anything on a resale...... To be honest $200 is entry level.....

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I've herd. But I've also read that the tessoro compadre is really good for its low price. Not all the bells and whistles. But hey I just want to play in the dirt and find some coins. Thoughts on the compadre??

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thorne, buy the dam Compadre and get over it! It will pay for itself. It might be your first outing or might be 29th outing, just depends on a little luck and where you hunt. It is the thrill of never knowing until you dig that makes this hobby soooooo exciting. My first detector was about $450 and it payed for itself the third time out with a ruby ring.

The compadre is an excellent choice. If this metal detecting gig turns out to be not for you, the compadre has great resale value. It is also an excellent easy to use detector. If you get one- learn how to cut plugs in the sod and make clean holes so that you do not ruin it for the rest of us.

You can get a great deal on a Compadre from one of the forum sponsors like Tom at Miller MDZ. A quick call to him can save you some money.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Do you drink coffee - soda - smoke Thorne! If you do, cut back one (coffee, soda, cig, etc.) each day and put what you saved in a jar. Now you can go out and just have fun swinging that puppy and looking for fantastic finds you can post.
killingme.gif

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thorne how old are you? If you don't mind me asking?!?! I'm gonna guess you're either young, or extremely cheap! Hahaha! - just messing with man!

But seriously, don't worry about the cost so much. This is a pretty cheap hobby to get started in, in my opinion at least. After you pay for the gear up front, basically your only cost will be batteries, a bit of gas to hunt different locals, and your time. It's a fun hobby. That's what you should look at, the enjoyment factor.

Think of all the things you pay for, for entertainment purposes; movies, games, music, festivals, concerts, going out to eat, vacations, etc- or habbits as some else said cigs, coffee, etc.

And look at it this way, if you get into it and hate it, you can always sell the equipment and recoup some of your money. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 30. With a wife and an 8month old. So money is kind of tight these days.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have u ever thought of mayb goin used on the detector u can get a higher end detector used for same price as a lower end model & sometimes u can still find 1with a warrenty still in affect

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have u ever thought of mayb goin used on the detector u can get a higher end detector used for same price as a lower end model & sometimes u can still find 1with a warrenty still in affect

This is a viable option man, EBay, Craig's list, or local detector shop if you have one, hey, you could find a steal on a really nice MD!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of options I've gotten from eBay for upgrades to my detectors when I can't afford new at the moment

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charter Members here sell some great used detectors in our classifieds check them out too....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions