How Many 1987 Halves Do You Have?

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh, the great numismatic anomaly! Plenty were minted, so there is no shortage. Yet, they were never officially released into circulation. They should be rare, but there's too darn many of them!!! Uhhhggg!!!

Whenever I come across one, I pull it out of the roll and set it off to the side in my "fancy clad" box. For the hell of it today, I decided to see how many I have, and the total is eight!!! All of the ones I have found look circulated (sorta roughed up). I have FOUR 1987Ps, TWO 1987Ds, and TWO 1987Ss (pictures below). The crazy thing is that I only edge and sound check (never year check) and I still somehow find the darn things! This all makes me very curious.

What do you guys and gals do with your 1987 halves? Do you save them? Do you sell them? Do you just pitch them back into the penny arcade? I'm curious as to what some other hunters think about the 1987. Now that I have a whopping FOUR DOLLARS tied up in these bad boys, I feel like it's decision time. ???

Happy Hunting!

photo-152.jpg photo-153.jpg

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I have 12 or 13 now.. I would have to check.. Hopefully they will be worth something one day..

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have none. I have seriously found rolls and rolls worth..some solid 1987 rolls. And I dump them all. I just don't have a reason to keep my money tied up in them when I can be using it for silver.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I think I have about 10-12, only 1 S, I keep all of them that I find. I have a couple that are in good condition.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many. I have 105 of P and Ds; don't know how many 87-S I have. I have 795 Clad S-mints proofs all together.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I throw them back, is there any additional value to them? They are all circulated and arent all pretty like the silver Kens...

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my 1st one this week- it is in very good condition and I'm keepin it- I want 1 set of them any more ill throw back

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh, the great numismatic anomaly! Plenty were minted, so there is no shortage. Yet, they were never officially released into circulation. They should be rare, but there's too darn many of them!!! Uhhhggg!!!

Whenever I come across one, I pull it out of the roll and set it off to the side in my "fancy clad" box. For the hell of it today, I decided to see how many I have, and the total is eight!!! All of the ones I have found look circulated (sorta roughed up). I have FOUR 1987Ps, TWO 1987Ds, and TWO 1987Ss (pictures below). The crazy thing is that I only edge and sound check (never year check) and I still somehow find the darn things! This all makes me very curious.

What do you guys and gals do with your 1987 halves? Do you save them? Do you sell them? Do you just pitch them back into the penny arcade? I'm curious as to what some other hunters think about the 1987. Now that I have a whopping FOUR DOLLARS tied up in these bad boys, I feel like it's decision time. ???

Happy Hunting!

View attachment 792707 View attachment 792708

:coffee2: I have 4 - 1 each 87P, 87D, 87S, 87S Non-Silver Proof that I have in my collection. Any other examples I only would keep to upgrade one that I have all ready in my collection. The rest I just throw back into the wild. It's now 26 years since they were minted & they are still basicaly only worth $.50 each. It's not worth tying up my crh money to keep more than 1 NIFC coin in my collection. That's my take on the subject.

BuyMyTreasure

Apr 23, 2013
MI
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found zero and need a P and D to complete a Whitman set,, seems like they can be found, but not often, should I just buy them?

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have just over 2 rolls!
i seem to find alot of them,but ionly keep the AU ones.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I have almost a full roll of au/bu p & d. Once i fill the roll they'll go to the highest bidder on ebay, probably $11.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one 1987 along with $25 in NIFC's. I'm starting to wonder why I am keeping them all.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd chime in here. I have found HUNDREDs of them - p & d mints anyway. Only 1 or 2 87s proofs though. I only save the nice ones now - gotta be lustrous AU or better or I throw them back.

I had a very interesting box recently. In it I found a little over 200 87s - all but about 40 were awesome bright ch/gem bu coins. I sorted them and sold the on eBay in p & d roll lots over the last few weeks. Ended up netting about $100 profit after fees. Not to shabby for clad! Most of them were quite nice. One bidder ended up buying most of them - maybe a dealer or something???

Here are some pics of some of them...

HH all - and believe it or not, you can actually make a little money on clad!

Attachments

• image-2050500710.jpg
    image-2050500710.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2481624318.jpg
    image-2481624318.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 121

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd chime in here. I have found HUNDREDs of them - p & d mints anyway. Only 1 or 2 87s proofs though. I only save the nice ones now - gotta be lustrous AU or better or I throw them back.

I had a very interesting box recently. In it I found a little over 200 87s - all but about 40 were awesome bright ch/gem bu coins. I sorted them and sold the on eBay in p & d roll lots over the last few weeks. Ended up netting about $100 profit after fees. Not to shabby for clad! Most of them were quite nice. One bidder ended up buying most of them - maybe a dealer or something???

Here are some pics of some of them...

HH all - and believe it or not, you can actually make a little money on clad!
If you want to take the time and sell them that's great. But to keep them for ever?? To each his own,

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have about 25-30 of them in clad P and D and maybe 5-6 proofs. I save them all when I find them, it's not like it's a ton of money or enough to make some kinda difference in my bank roll, lol. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread