How many coins are out there?

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so I've been reading different things about silver coins and how a great percentage were melted down (I believe in the early 80s) and it was kind of depressing. Also, for every person on this board that coin roll hunts, there are probably 1,000 more doing the same thing who are not on this board. It got me to thinking how many coins are still out there to be found. Granted, I know the number will be constantly changing with people plucking them and then some coming back into circulation. I was just curious to see an estimate of how many silver coins (war nicks, dimes, quarters, halves and dollars) you guys think are still lurking in the wild. My personal opinion is several hundred million. Does that seem high or low? Thoughts?

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not many, we found them all allready, all of us on here a pretty much going to just stop searching :laughing7:. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
In all honesty, that is a very hard question to answer. As you said, it changes all the time.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
For every new Silver hunter that enters the hobby- There is another old lady dumps her dearly departed husbands coin collection- and the cycle of CRH begins anew...

There is probably only 26 truly free 90%ers that will never be tamed- the other 249,500,329 just keep recycling...
PEACE

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once TimZim gets back FT crh there wont be many halves left ;-)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on -- just throw a guess out there. Of course, nobody knows for sure. But if you had to give and estimate, what would you say? I say between 100 and 200 million. That seems like a lot, but if you look at all the silver coins that have been produced over time, it may be realistic. I may be too optimistic, that's why I'm wondering what you guys think.

Last edited:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Come on -- just throw a guess out there. Of course, nobody knows for sure. But if you had to give and estimate, what would you say? I say between 100 and 200 million. That seems like a lot, but if you look at all the silver coins that have been produced over time, it may be realistic. I may be too optimistic, that's why I'm wondering what you guys think.

No way to know
Original Mintage numbers are published
How many silver coin have been melted? Unknown

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just thinking about the quantity of the 1.5 dimes per box that I averaged in 2013, comes out to a mere .0006% (that six-thousandants of one percent) per box. Now if you apply that fraction to all the clad produced years (1965-2013 P & D's: excluding Proofs)as if it was say 100,000,000,000 (billion) @ .0006% = only 60,000,000 AG dimes remaining in circulation as of today. But one must remember that the silver quantities are being reduced daily by us CRHers.

I'll work up the numbers using current Red Book production quantities. Should be interesting to see what comes up as the answer.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thinking about the quantity of the 1.5 dimes per box that I averaged in 2013, comes out to a mere .0006% (that six-thousandants of one percent) per box. Now if you apply that fraction to all the clad produced years (1965-2013 P & D's: excluding Proofs)as if it was say 100,000,000,000 (billion) @ .0006% = only 60,000,000 AG dimes remaining in circulation as of today. But one must remember that the silver quantities are being reduced daily by us CRHers.
I'll work up the numbers using current Red Book production quantities. Should be interesting to see what comes up as the answer.

If there are 60 million dimes still out there, then I would guess there would likely be around 25-35 million halves and maybe 5-10 million quarters and maybe 35-45 million war nicks. Also, let's say there are 1-2 million random silver dollars still out there. That's probably about 120-140 million silver coins still out there. Who knows?

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I once read that there is more money in the ground than above the ground...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once read that there is more money in the ground than above the ground...

There was, until Ted Binion was murdered & his girlfriend's lover dug up all his silver dollars from that desert vault. Now they are all in NGC holders!

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this link about one CRHer's find rates for various nickels, it's an interesting read. You can see his method for predicting how many of various years or series might still be in circulation.

Nickel Find Rates @ 260,000 Coins - Coin Community Forum

I have also read that there are more coins 'lost' than there are in circulation. I'm not sure if those mini-hoards of coins that many people have stashed away count as 'in circulation' or not. I expect the Fed has an official inventory number of coins that they hold in the Federal Reserve system (they are on the books as an asset) and they know the rate at which they release coinage. It's more difficult to predict the rate at which coins are lost, destroyed, or hoarded.

We've had mintage figures in the billions for cents for 50+ years, you would think the mint could take a few years off on the cents and there would still be no shortage of cents in circulation.

Last edited:

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between 1960 and 1964 over 3.5 BILLION dimes were minted. That's one coin in a 5 year period. Keep huntin' boy, ya might put a dent in that mountain someday.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are 60 million dimes still out there, then I would guess there would likely be around 25-35 million halves and maybe 5-10 million quarters and maybe 35-45 million war nicks. Also, let's say there are 1-2 million random silver dollars still out there. That's probably about 120-140 million silver coins still out there. Who knows?

FWIW, in the nickel analysis that I previously mentioned, the poster estimated 18 million war nickels still in circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread