How many coins in one yard?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Okay stupid question but how many coins can someone realistically expect to find in one yard? I know a lot has to do with how big, how old the house is etc but the house I own is only 19 years old, before that it was farmland. I have pulled out over 175 coins from the yard, my daughter has found 50, my son 5, my sister over 50 and a friend has pulled 15-20 out and there are still a ton of penny signals out there. Any explanation for this? When do you think this will dry up? Does it really matter?

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! That's a bunch a coins! :D I don't think I have found but maybe five coins in my yard. :P But...out in my woods I have found hundreds of old shotgun shells. ;D

Keep diggin! Get 'em all!

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of a parallel concept, that is:

"If it's old, there has to be silver there."

Actually, no there doesn't. This is not a hard and fast rule and there are a lot of factors that determine whether silver coins are to be found. Not the least of these are previous detecting, landfill efforts, earth removal and the fact that there just may not have been much activity on that particular spot.

Similarly, your yard may be chock full of coins for whatever reason and your neighbors may be devoid of them. Count your blessings and enjoy it while it lasts.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
The best I have found was in a drive way made of caliche and pea gravek. It measured about 30-40 feet long. This was what I pulled out of that drive way. All clad, no silver, I guess they hated pocket change. I forget the count, it is in another post. Way to go on your jackpot! I went back and found the post, here is the count. Total coins found in and around the driveway to 614. The count is 425 pennies, 38 nickels, 103 dimes, and 48 quarters. That's in just one driveway.

Attachments

• 1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 366
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
piggman1 said:
The best I have found was in a drive way made of caliche and pea gravek. It measured about 30-40 feet long. This was what I pulled out of that drive way. All clad, no silver, I guess they hated pocket change. I forget the count, it is in another post. Way to go on your jackpot! I went back and found the post, here is the count. Total coins found in and around the driveway to 614. The count is 425 pennies, 38 nickels, 103 dimes, and 48 quarters. That's in just one driveway.

That is cool because that means I may have many more targets for my kids to find!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been about 40 coins (not including clad) pulled from my yard . Oldest 1901 IH through 1964 silver dime . Lots of wheat pennys . I am still finding some but all the easy kills are gone. The strangest coin was a 1921 mexican coin.I have no idea how that one got here.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
My house was built in 1955 and I have never found a single coin in it. Hard to say how many coins in a yard. Lots of kids with lots of pennies can mean mucho coins. One kid hiding his hoard of coins could mean a nice find too!! Just too many variables to give an accurate answer!

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the responses. I guess my purpose for posting was to get a feel for what other people are finding in their yards.

Again thanks.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
300 plus coins in a 19 year old home is crazy....Whoever lived there must have just thrown money away...I have found around 30 or so coins at my home, which was built in 1957, my parents were the original owners....Most of them were around the driveway area.

BTW, what were the year ranges on the coins?? Were they from the house era, or the far era???

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Oldest so far was one wheat 1956. Also found a candian quarter. I can tell you the pennies are 60% copper 40% zinc that we find. There is no pattern that I can find looking at the coins. Found some dimes, a few quarters and 4 nickels as well. I am just trying to get the feel as to why so many coins (mostly pennies) are in the ground here.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lost at sea said:
I think someones got holes in their pockets.

Hahahahaahahaha, yep thats what i was thinking, as they are walking, they are falling right back out....Damn that penny is the same date as the last one, and the one before, and the one before, and the.................lol

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
over the years 300 is how many I found at my parents house built in 1972. We had a trampoline and all the neighborhood kids tended to play at our house. Every few months as a teenager I would take out my detector and get enough for candy bars and drinks for a while. Around the trampoline was always an incredible spot.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Im going for the record at a new spot :) Only Kidding !

I started a new yard down the street just this morning. Got hot FAST so
was only out 1.5 hours and pulled up 32 coins (8 wheaties) All from a
randomly picked starting spot and did a 20ftx20ft area. Theres 2 acres of
yard, so I didnt get far, cause there were coins everywhere !! Need to
hit a silver patch tomorrow morning :)

Good luck all !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread