How many feet of sand did Sandy remove?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the treasurecoast beaches i visited ther was alot of sand moved, but high up/back of dunes washed away. peoples stairs to the beach if still there were not hanging above the beach, in other words you did not have to jump off the last step to reach the beach. all sand has been replaced.(by mother nature) at least the beaches i have visited.
chuck.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my local beaches Sandy only removed a couple of feet (at most) with a few deeper cuts here and there. The lower 3/4 of the beach has already seen from a few inches to a couple of feet put back on, with this new sand growing deeper as you work your way toward the waterline. This is pretty much holding true over about six miles of local beach with a few areas seeing a bit more or less. The deeper cuts that were formed from Sandy and the northeaster that followed are all gone and have been for at least a week or more.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid Atlantic, looks like it took off several feet. Tonight's storm should prove interesting. The dunes are gone.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At my home court beach, anywhere from 10 to 20 plus feet. The town had sand thoughout it upwards of 8 feet, 30 plus homes never found 100's destroyed in place! Big storms are never really good for hunting.Hurricane Irean killed hunting for a year. This storm has the beaches shut down for 6 to 8 months. Beaches that didn't get hit so bad were closed for a month the Army Corps rebuilt the dunes and the ocean had that 4 weeks to fill back in with out seeing a detector.We can't even get within 4 miles of the beach. Good storms are the ones that remove 6 inches to a foot, making hunting your beach brand new.We have a few beaches within an 1hours drive starting to open.Here's clip of a town north of me.

Reclaiming Mantoloking | Facebook

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go farther south than you. Sandy was a disaster. Maryland beaches are open and I've gotten numerous silver coins in the last month.

herbcat

Jan 13, 2010
long island, ny
Detector(s) used
mx7 1776 king charles 111 silver reale
i live on the south shore of long island, we lost about 10 to 20 ft of sand. i mostly detect smithpoint beach which has
a boardwalk with the dunes coming up to the lower level railing, the dunes are now gone and it is a 12 ft drop down
to beach. the walk thru tunnels from the parking area were filled with sand about 6 to 8ft and sand covered 3/4 of the parking area

hh herb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread