How many hours do you md a day?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
I was wondering how many hours do you md a day? And when you answer the question I would like to know if your retired or have a job. Is there anyone on here besides the guy who found 180 silver coins that makes a decent living just mding? (just wondering, not that its my plan..) lol Also, do you hunt the same time every day?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I used to detect 4 hours a day, 3 or 4 days a week. But I now work 6 days a week, so I detect maybe once a month if im lucky. Life goes on.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We detect every weekend 4 to 6 hrs and Any day I get off early from Work Unless Its pouring rain or To cold!!! Under 40 for Me red has not Hunted in the cool weather Yet!!! HH Chug We are not addicted just Love the Hobby As for Making a Living at it Not Around Here Unless We can find Items Like our Avatar every week!!!!

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll go 2-3 hours before my back gives out. I'm retired and I hunt when the time and place come together.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
MD an average of 5hr.5 days a week,retired and lovin it!!!I so much enjoy diggin up the UNKNOWN.I'm sure there a few folks who do it for a living,I do it for pleasure!GodBless HH Chris

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
I was wondering how many hours do you md a day? And when you answer the question I would like to know if your retired or have a job. Is there anyone on here besides the guy who found 180 silver coins that makes a decent living just mding? (just wondering, not that its my plan..) lol Also, do you hunt the same time every day?

I get in at least one good five- to six- hour hunt a week. Sometimes I get lucky and squeeze in two a week. On average, I drive 110-miles round trip for a beach hunt. I just did a 180-mile rounder to do a farm field in the Catskills. That was only a 4.5-hour hunt!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am basically a cache hunter. That means I might hunt 10 hours a day for 7+ days and then not hunt for for several weeks. I sometimes hunt beaches. I travel maybe 150 miles one way and hit the beach 8 hours a day for several days. I also do old yard searches. That usually lasts about 8 hours for a day. Yes I am retired from the grind. I now set my own hours and rules. Frank

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'd say I average under 1 hour a day as I hunt 2-3 hours a day when I do. But we have long winters & many days in summer when it's too hot & we have some thunderstorms. Best wishes, George (MN)

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
With the hot dry weather we are experiencing right now I seldom get out for more then a few hours a week. The past few days are cooler but we ain't getting the rain to make it possible to hunt with out damaging the turf right now.

As far as making a living doing this hobby to make it short and sweet, (NO WAY), the good finds just aren't as plentifully any more.

Back in the early Eighties after Borg Warner shut down and there just wasn't any jobs to be had. I would hunt 10 to 12 hours a day. I would hunt any where I could get permission, which included spaces between the side walks and the curbs that belonged to the city. I averaged 12 to 14 pieces of silver a day, many silver rings and occasionally a gold ring would pop up.

Did I make a living? Not hardly, I was lucky to put beans on the table, but I would sure like to have all those silver coins back now with silver going for what it is today. I miss those days. If I was physically able to hunt like that today I would be lucky to find three or four silvers now, and the silver quarters and halves are much scarcer today.

Yea those were the good old day. Rick :coffee2:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I work full time. (usually 4x10) so I manage to get 3 day weekends unless we have O.T. - I would hunt all three days or at least two of the days off (or until I was shot from digging) ... :) last weekend the rain kept me from doing much, the weekend before I hunted two nights in a row, 10 hours both nights from midnight right past sun up, almost noon.

I do what I can because some time soon all that silver is going to be long gone. sadly they aren't making silver coins anymore, and once they are dug up (found) they are gone forever!

Most of the parks where I live have been picked clean already- if it wasn't for a bottle cap over the gold ring (in my avatar picture), it would have never been found. that signal was a weird nickel. :) thankfully!

I wish I could get out more...I'm not retired, and I really love the hobby!
HH -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions