mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was going to buy and bury a silver coin. I would bury it and then take my buddies out and let them see me find the silver coin and I would make sure it was a bust dime or half. So that way I could watch there faces and see how much time they would stay there detecting. I would want it all on video so when I told them the true I could get their reaction and if it was funny enough send it in to America Funny Videos......Matt

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
I wouldn't do it. I have found enough pieces of gold painted lead and gold foil to know what 'pis#ed off' feels like.
However, if you intend to let him keep the coin it may be a different matter.

The Cat

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
A gold chocolate one :D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't do that.

If you did it to me I probably would'nt want to detect with you again.... on a serious note anyway. ;D

Because then I would have to get you back. :icon_jokercolor:

And that just cuts in my detecting time. :D ;D ;D

I am the king of get backs. :icon_king:..You can't win with me ::)

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I used to bury relics for my kids to dig to make sure they found something when we went out. It all backfired when my daughter was older and asked if I remembered what she actually found by herself and what I had buried. I hadn't ever thought about that being asked.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
What I want to do is have tokens made up with my website on it and leave them in the parks I hunt that way the next guy can tell the last time the place was hit and with what type of detector etc. Not as a joke but just a friendly calling card like the ham radio operators trade. Who knows I might meet a md buddy that way.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy the Cladman has tried to get me a couple of times but it didn't work. I get him back good, really good, because it was showing him real finds! :thumbsup: Quite a few years ago when we were just starting out one of the things we talked about finding, and it was holy grailish to us, was a Spanish 8 reale. It was grouped with a few more things that were just dream finds and something we felt we'd probably talk about forever, but never find. We had one of these conversations over a coin dealers table just a few days before we were to go detecting so it was very fresh in our mind. So off we went, to a site we had hunted before and dug a few old coins and relics etc.. Just to give you a sense of how new we were it was just a short time before the Cladman had let out a Yee-haa! on the shore when he found a musket ball. I probably told him not to waste time calling me over for something so foolish. :D Anyway, we get down to the site and it's very quiet. Ten minutes passes and neither of us dug a hole and for the next ten every time we'd cross paths we would look at each other as to say lets get out of here, but no one would make the call. I knew the clock was ticking so decided to walk down along side the creek and if there was nothing there I was off to the next field. It only took maybe 20 steps and i got a got hit which I thought was going to be a pop can but to my amazement I popped out an 8 reale. I think I only had one crummy 1800s silver from the salt beach and now to have found a 1777 8 reale I was over the moon. So I walk over to Claddy with my hand out and made him guess what I had found. :laughing7: It only took a few guesses before he said 8 reale and when I gave him the nod yes it was, he didn't believe me and i made sure to hold it a little longer to build the suspense. ;D I opened my hand and that's when the cursing started and is the end of the story.

PS.... To this day he has never found the 8 reale he has been waiting for, but the poor %$%$# did get a tease digging a counterfeit about 6 years ago. I got to be the one to tell him it was not legit. ;D (but now years later I consider it a much better find then I did at the time)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand and I do have one for it.

I'd guess it was maybe 6 years ago the Cladman and I took our friend, and detecting guest, Camp David to hunt one of our 200 year old sites on the bay. What Dave didn't know is Claddy had a massive silver 1500s replica coin that he bought for $20 and we were going to plant it, or fool him somehow. All of us had purchased a GTI 1500 for a first serious detector, but I made the switch to the Explorer, then Claddy did, but Dave was still using the Garrett. So our plan was to make him believe our detectors hit a good signal but his GTI wouldn't see it. :laughing7:

So it's about an hour into the hunt and we're digging odds and ends, and I see the Cladman detecting right behind Dave at the waters edge. A minute or so later he calls me over to check "a good signal," one Dave's detector can't seem to detect. :D So I wave my coil over and say, yeah that sounds like a coin hit to me! Dave tries again and gets nothing, and Claddy starts to dig. Once he got about 10" down, having the coin hidden (and already dirty) in his hand, he reaches into the hole and brings it back out showing this huge silver. I yell holy ^%$^^ what the ^%^% is that!!! He started wiping the dirt very quickly so I then yell slow down, be careful with that... just to sell it a bit more. We had managed to get ourselves just as excited as if he had really found it, well the two of us did, Dave was pretty quiet. So Claddy puts the coin in his pouch and says to Dave, look at your footsteps, you walked right over it. LOL We both then walked away laughing and leaving poor Dave thinking about that for the next 45 minutes. :laughing9: Finally we went over and let him in on the joke and he said the entire time he was stewing about the possibility he had missed that silver coin made him close to throwing his detector in the water. I think it's a little too evil to make someone believe they made a great find which is why I suggested we do it that way.

PS... A short time later he too made the change to an explorer but wasn't because of a big 16th century silver once dug on the Bay. :thumbsup:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The way this economy is now headed we'll soon have to bury our own coins in order to find any. The rest will be hoarded and watched over very carefully. :laughing9:

LL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
If someone did it that to me, it wold be a LLLOONNNGGGG time before I would want to go detecting with them again, if ever.

Why? I find that it is a cruel joke and not very funny. It suggests that you do not like the person to make him the butt of such a joke and that the only reason you were invited along to go detecting was to be made fun of. It would not be a very nice experience for me and I would lose respect for anyone who did such a thing to me.

But that is just me.

If you are considering pulling a stunt like this please consider the long term consequences of your actions.

Ray S ECenFL

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Years ago a couple guys I knew had a friend who had never dug a civil war artillery shell. He was really wanting to find one so, without him knowing, they buried a parrot shell for him to find. He walked around it several times and never found it. They guys buried that same shell 3 or 4 times and somehow their friend always missed it so eventually they gave up.

Wow, a couple of sticks in the mud here. ;D
Well, you wouldn't want to hunt with me then. Practical jokes happen frequently with me and my hunting partners. I think I have laughed more times out detecting than watching a stupid comedy show on the boob tube. I guess that's what happens after 20+ years of detecting. If you can't have fun out in the field on slow days, then why bother at all. Of course, I don't hunt with uptight people so there would be no hurt feelings. If any one filmed a regular day with me and my buddy Jason detecting, even John Candy would be rolling in his grave laughing!
Loosen up and have fun! ;D
Dave.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three years ago I bought my first detector when visiting relatives in Omaha.
The day I got it, I spent that evening reading the instruction manual cover-to-cover so
when I took it out the next morning to hunt my father-in-law's back yard, I'd at least
know how to turn it on :P.

The next morning I went out in the yard and within a few minutes, I got a really solid
target. After digging down about 3-inches, I glanced over my shoulder and noticed
that my family was watching every move I made with keen interest from inside the
house. My target was this quarter wrapped inside a Post-It Note which my son had
buried in the yard the night before. We all had a good laugh. . . and I still have that
quarter along with the note to this day.

If your friend is good-natured, then go for it. . . however, do expect some payback :o

Eric\'s Joke.JPG

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always up for a good joke no matter which side I'm on. Let them bury all the silver they want so that I find it. :icon_thumright: Great joke on me. :wink:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Vayank, have you ever been "snipe hunting"?

Just joking of course, but there are real snipes too, we have them in Oregon, but they aren't here in Alaska where I'm spending a little time.

It's easy to get them though. All you need is a gunney-sack and start calling........

"Here snipe". "Here snipe"...........

LL :laughing7:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
LuckyLarry said:
Hey Vayank, have you ever been "snipe hunting"?

Just joking of course, but there are real snipes too, we have them in Oregon, but they aren't here in Alaska where I'm spending a little time.

It's easy to get them though. All you need is a gunney-sack and start calling........

"Here snipe". "Here snipe"...........

LL :laughing7:

Yeah we used to do a lot of snipe hunting and on our way out we would always do a bit of cow tipping. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread