Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinebarrens1 said:
i hated it . now i love my history in my area . its nice when the historical society . calls you for info

Yep

You couldn't Force me to Hate History
anymore then I Already Did in School.

Of course that was because all they Talked about was
World History & Forced it down
our Throats.

Hey, There was wars. Woop-De-Doo ! there still are.
Nobody Who Knows world History
has ever Learned from their Mistakes.

Now that I'm out of School I Can learn what I Want.

& Local history is one of those things.

IIIIII
IIIIII
IIIIII
V V V V V V
V V V V V V
V V V V V
V V V V
V V V
V V
V

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's weird, because I was the exact same way... until I involved myself into archaeology. After that, it just laid dormant for years until I was in college. Now I can't take in enough historical information!!!

Bran <><

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Iwas one that hated history in school. Who wants to sit there and rad about stuff that happen 100's of years ago. At 16 and 17 you are only intest in the stuff that is happening now. Now I try to read aobut old places to find out where the good stuff may be......Matt

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I hated history, but I think the way it was taught to us was boring, and just not presented in a way that made you really want to know about real history. Too much emphasis then on just learning dates for tests in my opinion.

With that said, long before I even knew what a metal detector was, I wanted to be a History teacher (from about age 19 on) To this day I always wondered "what if".

Needless to say now, after almost 30 years of metal detecting and just about 2/3 of it being for older relics and coins that my desire did increase for knowledge of not only local history but also national and international history that did effect our past.

Don

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
I didn't like history class at all. Oh, history itself was fine. Interesting even. But I always had a funny feeling about what was taught.

I was always getting "sent to the office," to the Deans office in high school. Either because I asked the wrong questions, or when the teacher insulted me i would insult him back.

When we were covering the U.S. History about "Taxation Without Representation," I asked "When I work after school at the grocery store, they take taxes out of my paycheck, but I can't vote---so isn't that taxation without representation?" Answer: "Um, er, ah, er, I don't know about that."

When studying the Constitution, "Why did we fight the Koren War, when Congress hadn't declared a War? If it was a Police Action, why didn't we send the Police? Do our Police have jurisdiction in other countries?" Answer: Same as above.

Any many more, like "This book tells us when this or that war started and ended, but it either doesn't say why it was done, or if it states a reason, that reason doesn't really make sense. What's up with that?" Answer: Same as above.

When I insulted the teacher back, I asked the Dean, "Why is the teacher insulting me? Why can he do that to me, but I can't do it back to him? We are here to learn, so are we supposed to be learning how to be insulted and just cow down to it?" Answer: Same as above.

So I slept a lot in that class. Which would have been OK with the teacher, except I snored.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I hated it!!! My worst subject. My interest started with trips to Europe and now I'm actually watching the history channel! I cant' believe it!

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I always loved history, even continued to take courses in university. I just always loved studying the people and situations that made up the past, helped me to understand the present. Now, studying local history makes my current research fun and potentially profitable.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always liked history but did not always care for the teachers. One particular teacher spent each class writing notes on the board which we had to copy, this was her style and it bored me to death. A few others would put their own spin on things to fit their agenda, this caused many problems.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
I think to like history one has to have a reason to like it. Really it's that way with any course of study.

Like most here I hated it. It was all about long lists to memorize and I've never been great on memorization.

I learned very little during my high school years. I shall always be thankful for our local Community College and on up from there. At college I found it wasn't a popularity contest like in high school. The teachers were honest and treated everyone equal. I loved college and hated the whole K-12 experience.

teddy

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky enough to have a great history teacher in highschool,he was a pilot in WW2 and even flew some of the first jets in the airforce,he took us to the Alamo and showed us other historical places here in Texas,he also had uniforms from almost every area of history,and he even brought weapons to school.Mr.Peak died a few years ago and his ashes were scatted all over Texas.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most subjects, if you have a boring teacher, it will be a boring subject. And kids want a practical reason why a subject should interest them. I liked electronics so I could make 2-way radios for me and my friends (way before there were cell-phones) -- I liked chemistry so I could make explosives (bad idea!!) -- I liked photography so I could take photos of pretty girls (good idea). It's all about motivation. :laughing7:

scrubber

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
History and science were my two favorite subjects in school. At one point in fifth or sixth grade, I decided to write a book about ancient Rome. I got two sentances done (and both copied from a book)!

Present day, I love local history and I really enjoy the fur trade era in North American History. When it comes to world history, I prefer to study and read about the Middle Ages (specifically 1200-1500AD).

My wife hated history until she had a chance to go back to college a few years ago. She had a professor that absolutely brought history alive. Now it is a passion of hers.

Doug

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I always loved History infact I scored higher on all the state test than the smart kids in my class.

My shocker was I failed computers hated everything about them. Somehow I changed my direction in college from Secondary Ed. (history) and majored in Computers.

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI
I use to hate when my ant would talk about are areas history all the time.But now,i love hearing about it. My ant even let me detect around here old tenant house.I found alot of coin,mostly penny's,and some relics.

Priscilla

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated it until I started doing my family history. Found out that my ancestors on both sides came into Jamestown in the 1600's, participated in the Revolution and the Civil War and accomplished many things. Now I can't seem to get enough history.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coingairl300 said:
HI
I use to hate when my ant would talk about are areas history all the time.But now,i love hearing about it. My ant even let me detect around here old tenant house.I found alot of coin,mostly penny's,and some relics.

Priscilla

Yes We had a Small Store about a Mile away.

When I Was about 8 or 9 I Used
to Dread Entering the Store
Because there was a old
Man seemed about 90 Born April 6th 1880
His Grandfather was the First Settler up here.
Sharp as a Tac, But Always
wanted to Tell me the History
of the Towns up
here on the Mountain. Never realy Listened
Just Nodded & Went about my Buisness.

Boy do I Miss that old Man :( :'(

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
jeff of pa said:
coingairl300 said:
HI

Priscilla

Yes We had a Small Store about a Mile away.

When I Was about 8 or 9 I Used
to Dread Entering the Store
Because there was a 90 Year old
Man Sharp as a Tac, But Always
wanted to Tell me the History
of the Towns up
here on the Mountain. Never realy Listened
Just Nodded & Went about my Buisness.

Boy do I Miss that old Man :( :'(

So true Jeff.
I did that with lots of old timers while growing up. Now I sure wish I could ask them questions and listen.

It was about 6 years ago I seriously started listening to the old boys in our area. That's when I really started to find the old stuff.

teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread