How many people have lost their pinpointers in the field?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did on one of my first hunts with one. I did eventually find it. My problem was that I was hunting in the fall with a bunch of leaves all over the ground! I took me over a half hour to find the dam thing!!

I think there was an old guy and the bench laughing at me was the worst part!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never Lost It, just Miss placed It 300 Yards away In the Sand As We Frantically Walked Back Looking every where and At Everyone Trying to Find It!!! Thank god We Found It Just laying In the Sand Beeping Away!!!! Dam pull tab was Just Under the Tip!!!! G rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr HH Chug

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be a worldwide problem...im lucky, didnt lost my pp till now, but many of my buddys have. And they lost 400$ pointers as well as cheap ones...
The only issue i had was dropping my pointer when i carried my detector over the shoulder as i have the holster mounted on the upper shaft to have better access to my pp when hunting.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! So I wrapped florescent pink duck tape around the middle. Sticks out like a sore thumb now!

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lost my PP somewhere in 4 ft high weeds. Backtracked. Couldn't visually see it. Then the Light Bulb came on! Since the "bullet-sniffer" was in my right hand....TURN IT ON! Found in 2 minutes or less. After mowing the field, that exact spot of "losing" the PP, I found an IH!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
baylorhall said:
Yes! So I wrapped florescent pink duck tape around the middle. Sticks out like a sore thumb now!
I got home and no pin pointer i went back .... I was hunting on the side of a hill ........... I walked down the road and looked up the hill about 100 feet up i spotted it ................. like you i had mine wrapped in orange florescent tape.................... So you got to love that bright colored tape.......That pin pointer was about 100 ft away and i still spotted it........... I was surprised i was so far away and could still see it there in the woods on the side of that hill................

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've lost several. I now have coiled plastic lanyards with clips fastened to them and have one end clipped into the belt that carries my pouch etc. Took care of the problem and makes it hard to forget it when heading out, as well.
luvdux

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luvsdux said:
I've lost several. I now have coiled plastic lanyards with clips fastened to them and have one end clipped into the belt that carries my pouch etc. Took care of the problem and makes it hard to forget it when heading out, as well.
luvdux

:laughing9: I had that very idea for Chug, he is always dropping things or misplacing them, he broke our digital camera in the water twice, and dropped it too many times to count! :laughing9: Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The camera In question had a little accident it Got Knocked off the Railing above the Stairs Bounced down 14 step and Hit a wall and Still worked Kinda!!! For a few Months!!! Until It accidentally Dropped Out Of the Truck On to the Pavement !!!!! several times I tried duct tape Bailing wire You Know All of the Standard Fixes Nothing Worked So as Any Guy would Do I took the Daen thing apart !!! There are a lot Of Small Parts In one of those Cameras!!! LMAO Chug

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost2Much said:
Lost my PP somewhere in 4 ft high weeds. Backtracked. Couldn't visually see it. Then the Light Bulb came on! Since the "bullet-sniffer" was in my right hand....TURN IT ON! Found in 2 minutes or less. After mowing the field, that exact spot of "losing" the PP, I found an IH!

Ok, I will admit right off the bat - I do not now own, nor have I ever owned a pinpointer. That said, L2M's post kinda says it all to me. Would a GOOD metal detectorist cop to "losing" his pinpointer? :laughing7: Now, I have lost wives, car keys, even a cat once.. OK, we ate the cat, but the point is I am no better than anyone else.. just on't think I would EVER tell ANYBODY I lost a $150 tool when I had a metal detector in my other hand :dontknow: :laughing7: :hello:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hardly use a pinpointer since I mainly hunt the water now. But I have lost a few good screw drivers which I probed for the coins. One was hand made with a antler for a handle and I looked for that one for over a month. I don't know if I left it stuck in the ground or miss placed it but it was just gone. Some alien right now is wondering what it was used for.....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep........ Guilty as charged!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
One thing I have never lost while detecting the past 4.5 years is my pinpointer, even though I use one every time I detect. I guess having an inline probe makes it really hard to lose! :laughing9: :laughing7:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions