How much damage might they have done?

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I just got permission to detect a farm built in 1805- it was a stage stop along one of the main roadways of that time period. It has an old stone house, a few out buildings, a barn and about 11 acres. The original roadway is still visible cutting through the field. They found all kinds of arrowheads out in the fields as well!

It was detected previously, but probably 20 years ago...how discouraged should I be because of the previous detecting? I have no clue what the MD technology was like 20 years ago, how would my ACE 250 stack up?

Thanks,
Ryan

Upvote 0

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Nothing is ever truely been sweeped. You will allways find something more then you did before.

Just remember

Grid it out!

Work slow!

Keep looking.

LT

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You don't know how thoroughly the place was done; it takes a lot of time and patience to do a place right. Give it your best shot.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
No place is ever truely "hunted out" ~ yeah, maybe they found some good stuff there before ~ but you should hunt that ground hard! I'm sure there's something there waiting for you to find it! GOOD LUCK!

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
No property is ever hunted out. Look for spots that are hard to get at, or trees or bushes that have been recently cleared. Wooded edges are good also. Hope this helps. HH
JDD

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the Iron Brigade was there first, I think you have a chance. ;D

Seriously though, I like "hunted out" sites. They're a challenge. And newer technology is not your only asset--in fact that's only a very small percentage of the "edge" you might have over previous searchers. It depends in part on Who has searched it before--as much as What machine they searched it with. Your biggest asset in getting some goodies from the site is your brain--and your knowledge of your own detector. Research is also on your side--even if it's as simple as talking to the property owner about other potential spots on the property. It's a great feeling to outsmart a previous hunter.

If you subscribe to W&E Treasures Magazine, take a look at the February issue. I wrote the article there, and it might give you some more ideas.

The fact that someone hunted it before has Never scared me off. Get out there and get swingin.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Nuttdriver

Mar 9, 2008
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/stock 5"x8" coil, NEL Snake 3.5"x6.5" coil and NEL Hunter 12.5"x8.5" coil.
Shadow X2 with 4" (coin sniffer in trash), 7" and 9" coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just slow down on the coil swinging and dig everything that sets your detector off. Even the broken signals. Listen for the deep ones too. They are usually worth digging.
You'll find something.
"Hunted out sites" are my favorites! :thumbsup:

Happy hunting!

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I was on a spot that had metal detectors on it about twenty years ago. I found three 1800's IH's and three WWI buttons in one day! That doesn't include the spoons and relics. No matter how good you are, or think you are, you never find everything. Attack! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory is;

Do all land you have permission to do. Cover it well without missing areas. If you find nothing after doing the whole field, then move on. If you do well & its a ploughed field then keep hitting until every nail is sucked off that site. NEVER be put off from trying anywhere your allowed to go by anyone including yourself. You won't know until you try. TIME is your greatest obstacle.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I still pull silver out of the park near my house that has been hunted hard since 1971 that I know. Including those coins on edge. Any rise in the ground or berm needs extra attention and all sloping ground. Look for places where brush has been removed or cut back.

Good Luck and HH!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, I wish I could hunt that spot with you. All you have to do is a small section at a time, work it thoroughly, heck take three hours to search a 10x10 area.
I think you're gonna do just fine. Keep us posted.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Anywhere you go has probably been hunted before, so why worry. Many great finds come from hunted out spots, so again, why worry?? How good were the people, how much time did they have, what machines mattered too if you are concerned. Point is you have a place to hunt with some great history and alot of goodies waiting for you!! I hunted an old college a few years ago that was hunted out and from what I heard the phrases "pounded to death" and "nothing left to dig" was said. My dad, nephew, sister, and two Friends found between up over 100 silver coins dating back to 1835, two cent pieces, one Large cent(1845), close to 200 Indians, who knows how many wheats. I personally pulled five gold rings including a 1922 Class Ring. THIS from a pounded site. Take your Ace 250 and enjoy the times there, don't worry who's been there, just know you're there now!!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Hey Ryan
Don't be discouraged. I agree with metalfinder. I also remember when detectorists wouldn't dig certain signals because they were only after silver. Listen for the deep iffy signals. You never know. I personally have found many coins in previously believed hunted out sites. Anyway what's the diff. You live in Pa. Lot's of available digs left.
Chris

P.s. How is the pinpointer?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i wouldnt be discouraged at all. in all honesty i have probably only hunted two sites in three years that were "virgin" sites. everything else i have ever found was in spots that have been pounded for 30 years. no one ever finds it all.

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips!

Chris- the pinpointer works great...now I just need to find something worth digging up lol! I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to go to one of the better spots I have on my list yet! I think I am going to hit that farm on Wed. evening though, so look for my post afterwards!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ryan, I agree with everything that was said in the responses to your post. One thing I would add:
If you have the option, hunt it after a soaking rain when the soil is saturated. It could be that the people who hunted it before did so during a dry season. Wet soil acts as a conductor and your chances are enhanced with wet soil. Regards and good luck from Tennessee!!!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Hit it hard, my detector I had 20 years ago didn't go as deep as the one I have now. I can follow behind many of my detecting buddies and find coins they missed, sometimes they return the favor.......sometimes :-[ Soil conditions change, I could go on, but I won't. Go dig and post some pics. :icon_sunny:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
My theory is;

Do all land you have permission to do. Cover it well without missing areas. If you find nothing after doing the whole field, then move on. If you do well & its a ploughed field then keep hitting until every nail is sucked off that site. NEVER be put off from trying anywhere your allowed to go by anyone including yourself. You won't know until you try. TIME is your greatest obstacle.

Well said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread