How much is to much to buy of pennies?

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i was wondering how much do you try and buy of pennies at each bank? I started going to a new bank and the teller seems very nice and said i could come back each week for coins but please dont bring them back he said and i told him i use coinstar. We talked for a little while and i said i will be back next week for more pennies. I bought $20 this time but my question is how much is to much pennies to buy. Do you think it would be ok to ask him how many pennies he has or should i say 20-50 dollars or more? Also i am going to ask him if he minds me coming in 2 or 3 times a week for different coins so they dont have to ship them. Whats everybodys take on this. Also should i buy CWR or boxes or both? Thanks Chris

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris, I think you should buy boxes and grab cwr when available. Cent boxes are $25 and getting two ordered every week shouldn't be a problem for most banks. As far as stopping in multiple times per week, just make sure they understand that you want to work with them to clear out their excess coin but that you aren't going to be a pain for them. Good luck.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 2 boxes shouldn't be a problem. If the teller is friendly try finding out when the banks slow time is. I try to do this because it helps them out by nit bogging up the lines.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember coinstar charges 9.8% unless you use the gift card option.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never had much luck on pennies. I have found more wheat pennies with my metal detector than in rolls. Now nickels are a different story. I have found a lot of buffalo and "V" nickels in rolls. The bank also gives me the empty sleeves to put the returns back in. I can now fill a sleeve of nickels faster than I can unroll them. My bank will not take back loose coins but will take them back if they are rerolled.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely walk into a bank and request more than 2 boxes at a time, I will on certain occasions depending on how much I want the coin and the teller working. Some tellers are more easy-going than other tellers who might give you a hard time requesting $10 in pennies. (i;ve had that happen to me before)
hope this helps since there is no one answer to this particular question.
buff

OP
OP
C

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the help. Yea i know Coinstar charges 9.8% but i find it is worth the trouble because the bank teller said i could get any coins but please dont bring them back and i keep the copper.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If advise looking for a bank that has a free coin machine . East coast has TD bank mid east has tcf bank

OP
OP
C

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea i was trying to find a bank with a coin machine but i cant find one

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I find that if I order 2 boxes of pennies, they are fine with it. however, if I order FOUR boxes ofg pennies, and do it every two weeks, theya re fine with that TOO. So I order 4 boxes. then, on the opposite weeks, I pick up 4 from a different branch. So I'm getting four per week, only hitting one bank per week, and still not causing a problem.

(OKay, so I now order that from FIVE banks each each when I work pennies, and that is 20 boxes per week. But they don't know I am working ten branches in total. Just 4 boxes at five each week and eaach one every two weeks. When I work pennies. Sometimes nickels, sometimes dimes, quarters, or halves. But pennies I always get more than other boxes, and they don't seem to mind.)

jshane7422

Feb 5, 2013
Thurmont, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that if I order 2 boxes of pennies, they are fine with it. however, if I order FOUR boxes ofg pennies, and do it every two weeks, theya re fine with that TOO. So I order 4 boxes. then, on the opposite weeks, I pick up 4 from a different branch. So I'm getting four per week, only hitting one bank per week, and still not causing a problem.

(OKay, so I now order that from FIVE banks each each when I work pennies, and that is 20 boxes per week. But they don't know I am working ten branches in total. Just 4 boxes at five each week and eaach one every two weeks. When I work pennies. Sometimes nickels, sometimes dimes, quarters, or halves. But pennies I always get more than other boxes, and they don't seem to mind.)

What are you looking for in pennies? I pull out all wheat's and been looking for Indian heads but that's really all, anything else I'm missing?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you looking for in pennies? I pull out all wheat's and been looking for Indian heads but that's really all, anything else I'm missing?

Well many people, myself included, pull out the 1959 to 1981 copper cents to either sell at a profit or hoard. Also I keep the pre 97 Canadian copper as well.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
2 boxes at each bank, customer wraps just say you'll take whatever you can get that's what I do and I have a great relationship with all my tellers. In fact many of them ask what I found the previous week!

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I go for any amount :p go big or go home. Cleaned 2 banks in my hometown :( Getting dimes for now lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread