How much longer do we have?

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was just wondering how much longer we have in this great hobby before it cuts cut off completely? From what I have been reading on this forum & from my own experiences in the last 3 months I personally believe in 3 years Coin Roll Hunting will be dead. It's been getting hard for me to dump coin( I only average 3 boxes per week of halves dumped between 3 banks), one of my dumps has banned me from depositing rolled coin. Sorry if this has been posted before, I just want to know what you guys are feeling. HH Circa

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really subscribe to this whole "sky is falling" phenomenon that is going around on this site. There will always be opportunities to search and dump.
It may take a little more work on our parts, but where there is a will, there is always a way.
Happy Hunting!!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am new to this and i think within 2 years we will have to pay for boxes and our dumps. The bank are not doing good and will need the fees to stay in buss..It will push out most of us. I will pay the fees there will be more silver for the ones that pay the fees. Some of my banks talk about fees already!! Good luck to all!!

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've said this before, every day there are more CRHers entering the insanity than there are exiting. Time will tell?

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all depends where you live and how much you order/dump.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't paid a fee since since 1979/80, the beginning of the first roll hunting mania.
This hobby's been out there for a while.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
There will always be CRHing, sure the "big banks" might make it harder and harder to CRH but the smaller, independent credit unions most likely won't. About the only thing that might be over is being able to hunt on an industrial scale. The silver sure isn't all gone, it replenishes itself on a daily basis. The key to CRHing is creating relationships. Figuring out what each teller cares about and doesn't care about and trading from there.

CRHing has been, is and will be a valuable part of the coin collecting hobby regardless of what happens with the big banks. There are still a lot of people who don't know what coins are silver.... including silver dollars...

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think my primary dump bank will cut off all non-business accounts from picking up or dumping large volume probably within a few years max. One local district of said bank won't let me pick up without a business account, and two branches have blocked me from dumping. Of course, since TD acquired Commerce, Commerce/TD went down the crapper, so... Plenty of other local/regional banks that will take my business, like PNC.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
The smaller banks might prefer the dumps. My father has a tiny side business with vending machines. He only get quarters.

The bank where he deposits the quarters are happy. They don't have to order quarters.

Your dumps might actually help.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The smaller banks might prefer the dumps. My father has a tiny side business with vending machines. He only get quarters.

The bank where he deposits the quarters are happy. They don't have to order quarters.

Your dumps might actually help.

No, usually smaller banks are worse to dump at because they have smaller vault space. Let's face it, halves really aren't that useful and businesses hate to get hand wrapped coins. Even if people think they are doing the bank a favor by hand wrapping coin, they usually just toss it in the coin counter anyways.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is enjoy it while you still can because no one knows for sure exactly what's going to happen. Like they say...nothing lasts forever & all good things will come to an end sooner or later. Remember, banks aren't in business to support our hobby of CRHing so appreciated your relationships with your banks & what they can & will do for you. But already I'm seeing resistance with some of my banks. For example, where I dump my halves they say I can't any more, evgen though I'm a customer. IMHO, due to the fact that so many are doing it now (thanks to the Internet educating & informing the masses) is what will eventually bring it all to a scretching hault. Also, the big shots in the corporate offices are catching on to whats going on & they are now cracking the whip making things harder. Meanwhile, to ensure your success just use your intellect & keep changing your strategy & you will be fine...for now. Good luck.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
certain people are going to ruin it for everybody, abusing the system is the key to this hobby's fate, sure we all abuse the system, but some contribute more than others. I personally think dropping off $10,000 at one bank will quickly get things shut off completely.
Please note: this post is not directed towards anybody in case somebody thinks this is toward them :)
HH
Buff

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
It is hard to give a definite answer to that, though I feel that we will all get squeezed a little more as time goes by. I will personally never pay 1 cent to either dump coins or buy boxes (Its a matter of principal). I will do my best to figure out how to use the system one way or the other for Free. It would be very easy at this point for me to criticize the banks but I realize that up until now most have been very good to me and without them I would have very little Silver in the poke. Good Luck. However long it lasts.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
My mom and dad were helping my cousin go thru my aunts house after she had passed. Come to find out my aunt and uncle, who passed away 2 yrs ago, had silver coins stashed.

Who knows how many out there were like them. If my dad had not been there those coins might have been put back into circulation.

The coins are in a safety deposit box.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty much done now. I think all you folks who do it should get a real job and stop wasting your time with CRHing.

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty much done now. I think all you folks who do it should get a real job and stop wasting your time with CRHing.

I believe most of us "folks" on here coin roll hunt as a hobby not a job. The silver is still out there to be found, I wasn't talking about the hobby ending due to a lack of silver.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
We have about 60-80 yrs from the last circulation coin of interest. Even CRHers that find alot of silver halves mostly find kennedys. Less than 10% of the silver dimes I find are mercs. Almost all of the mercs are find are 1940-45. It is rare to find a silver coin more that 70 yrs old.

Since the last circulating silver coin was 1969, 43 yrs ago, I would say silver hunting should wrap up over the next 20-40 yrs. By then the copper should be gone as well!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We have about 60-80 yrs from the last circulation coin of interest. Even CRHers that find alot of silver halves mostly find kennedys. Less than 10% of the silver dimes I find are mercs. Almost all of the mercs are find are 1940-45. It is rare to find a silver coin more that 70 yrs old.

Since the last circulating silver coin was 1969, 43 yrs ago, I would say silver hunting should wrap up over the next 20-40 yrs. By then the copper should be gone as well!!
1970 was the last year for circulating silver coin, Kennedy 40% half. Not nitpicking or anything...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread