How much sand you wash to get 1g gold?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that depends on the ground, and it also depends on panning ability. I've panned gold with the bottom of a beer can.

On Lake Superior, it can vary quite a bit. I've hit 1+ grams per ton (cubic yard) to almost nothing.

On glacial till, 0-5 specks per bucket with 1-2 being average. Playground sand also runs about the same.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering how much sand you wash to obtain 1g, kilograms , tons?
I was just with a simple bowl , without a gold pan or sluicebox, after 1 hour with no results i give up

After 1 hour you give up ?????

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it! 4 tons of decent bank run dirt should give you a gram.
A $60, 16oz bag of decent paydirt should also give you a gram.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am wondering how much sand you wash to obtain 1g, kilograms , tons?
I was just with a simple bowl , without a gold pan or sluicebox, after 1 hour with no results i give up

If you want to find Gold you must put more then 1 hour into it. First get a descent Gold pan read about panning for Gold, watch videos on sluicing, ask questions. Good luck.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My usual spot is about 3/4g - 1g per cubic yard. I can't even guess how long it would take to pan that much dirt. Maybe 100+ hours it you're new at panning? It takes about an hour to shovel it through a drywasher.

OP
OP
J

jumong

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 1 hour you give up ?????

i give up after travelling 3 hours with train, 2 hours by feet in a hot day in an unknown place ,just using maps, and not so sure what i am doing.. where are the good spots, what expetantions to have, tired before start:laughing7:

Another question, this is just for fun or can become profitable?

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i give up after travelling 3 hours with train, 2 hours by feet in a hot day in an unknown place ,just using maps, and not so sure what i am doing.. where are the good spots, what expetantions to have, tired before start:laughing7:

Another question, this is just for fun or can become profitable?

My friend, it won't be profitable. If you don't enjoy it, this hobby isn't for you.
If you can, consider ordering some pay dirt from a reputable online vendor. Send me a PM if you want some suggestions.
As for panning material you get "in the wild", as other have said it all depends on location. There are public places you can go in California where every pan will have some small (flour gold) pieces.
Out here on the East Coast where I am, I have to travel up to New Hampshire or down to Virginia / North Carolina to find gold "in the wild."

Ask yourself why you're doing this, and if it's for fun then keep trying.
- Brian

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jumong, where do you live? There are some places in the world where people make their daily money panning but in the USA you can't earn enough just panning to support yourself very well. You need good land and bigger equipment. As for your origional question, if you are in a good spot, you can pan a few grams or more in a day, but it takes practice. There are other places where the gold is so small and there are not many pieces so that you can pan for days or weeks and not get a gram.

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is profitable.? I drive 350 miles to claim say 160 gas round trip with fuil for pump. build my own highbanker mostly from scrap and trying to make own mats out of silocone and corn starch. sold enough gold last time to get home and am still working the cons. one of the best times of my day after cutting grass or weedeating or sawing wood, or fetching parts is sitting out at the panning tub scoop up a hand full of concentrates and relax for 5 or 10 minutes. enjoy getting some good size flakes and think that I'll do better as I get to the bottom of the buckit. compaired to days when the cost of broken chains was more than I got for the fire wood this is very profitable to me. best wishes

OP
OP
J

jumong

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Romania other side of the planet, after some research i know some spots, looks nice gold panning, but i am asking myself if i can quit my job for gold panning

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure you can quit your job for gold panning anytime you want .if you are lucky you can find some gold on the floor of the homeless shelter. :icon_scratch:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure you can quit your job for gold panning anytime you want .if you are lucky you can find some gold on the floor of the homeless shelter. :icon_scratch:

You might be spot on talking about the homeless and Gold, case in point my Gardner knows i prospect and he told me about the homes he gardens by the santa ana river drainage and noticed a guy panning he said he was not even using a pan like mine but some kind of large plastic lid this homeless person reached in his pocket and pulled out several pieces of gold the size of peas and one the size of a quarter WTH i said to Jose he said i should go there lol. To jumong dont give up keep at it and good luck.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Romania other side of the planet, after some research i know some spots, looks nice gold panning, but i am asking myself if i can quit my job for gold panning

Do you know people that have quit their jobs and are putting food on the table by mining?

OP
OP
J

jumong

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know full villages their main occupation was gold panning, but after a long period when gold panning was prohibited, and now you don't see people talking about this or even knowing about this, is a new generation

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it! 4 tons of decent bank run dirt should give you a gram.
A $60, 16oz bag of decent paydirt should also give you a gram.

I wouldn't even dig dirt that graded a gram for four tons.... thats essentially barren.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know full villages their main occupation was gold panning, but after a long period when gold panning was prohibited, and now you don't see people talking about this or even knowing about this, is a new generation

If it's not prohibited, the best thing to do would be to go to those villages and talk to older people who were miners before and see if there is enough gold to make money. Ask them where to go and how much you can find. Gold is worth more than it was years ago so maybe some areas will be profitable to mine. It will probably be difficult to find a good enough deposit to make very much money but we don't know anything about the gold mining history in Romania. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread