How much time before you pay your equipment off?

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's only cash you're looking for, I bet you could get some for the detector :) As for the coins if they are clad they are accepted at any grocery outlet etc.

But on a more serious, less jack A-- note if you happen across a ring or something of value due to precious metal, look for a reputable jeweler in your area some, not all, and not many will usuaully give you a better deal then the "cash it in" guys. but any sort of ring find right now will probably pay off a $250 detector.

As for the old stuff I can't answer that one I keep all mine, that's part of the fun for me, creating my own "museum".

Good luck and welcome to Tnet someone will give you better info on the older stuff I'm sure.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could amount to how many hours you put in. you could make it a goal to pay it off in one season. If you find one Platnum thats heavy, it's over. I did it

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well a lot depends on how often you hunt and what you find -- find a couple 14k wedding bands and sell em to the pawn dealer that will get you a decent bit of change --theres always "modern clad" worth face value and silver coins can sold for scrap silver --heck even trash like --aluminum has "cash it in" value

relic items to the right person can have value as well -- but be warned --using a detector solely as a "money" making device --has lead many detecting folks into the "dark side" of metal detecting -- tresspassing into places they should not be at -- going on private land without permission -- looting "historic" places that are off limits

OP
OP
D

doodman

Greenie
May 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies folks. I was looking for a good argument for my girlfriend. I keep telling her there's thousands in gold out there that wants to be found lol.

Ivan, you make a good point with the dark side note. I found a really cool site yesterday, a POW camp for high ranking nazis just east of toronto that was turned into a school. I thought it would be really cool to go detecting, but I guess I have to ask for permission first, even though tons of people walk around there freely. It is privately owned now.

-al

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doodman said:
Thanks for the replies folks. I was looking for a good argument for my girlfriend. I keep telling her there's thousands in gold out there that wants to be found lol.

Ivan, you make a good point with the dark side note. I found a really cool site yesterday, a POW camp for high ranking nazis just east of toronto that was turned into a school. I thought it would be really cool to go detecting, but I guess I have to ask for permission first, even though tons of people walk around there freely. It is privately owned now.

-al

In Nov. of last year I dug a $5,000 coin and being single I got to spend the cash just the way I wanted! So maybe you could make a trade, her for a detector. :wink: ;D The GTA might be a tough gig but you're not really that far from some good sites. I bet if your girlfriend got more familiar with the hobby she would learn to appreciate the exercise, adventure, history, and maybe in time a find worth a few bucks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doodman said:
How long does it take you to find 250$ worth of stuff?

Also, where do you bring your things if you want cash for them? Are pawn shops best, or maybe send your gold rings to that crazy dude that promises cash for gold on TV?

-Al

First , DO NOT SEND YOUR GOLD TO THE GUY ON TV! You can send it to several refineries like Midwest Refineries, or even beter "jewelerdave" on TreasureNet, they will pay you a lot more then any guy on TV will.....

I have about $450 in clad saved up so far for the last 4 years, and last year I did not hunt as much as the previous years..... I would buy from a pawn, but I never take any find there to sell it. Turn you coins in to banks or grocery stores.

You might go out tomorrow and find a $4000 diamond ring, or it might take you 10 years to find your first diamond ring. I got lucky and found my first diamond ring with in 3 weeks of starting....I have found several more diamond rings since then, but for some reason they all seem to end up in the wifes jewelry box for some reason... :dontknow: I do have a necklace full of gold rings and another full of silver rings that I will eventually cash in (gold), but I'm in no hurry at the moment. They may turn in to be a retirement bonus down the road...

If you get in it to make money you are most likely going to be disappointed ("Murphy's Law" sucks), but if you get into it to have fun your going to have a lot of fun, and you may just get lucky. :icon_thumright:

Good luck Sir! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

doodman

Greenie
May 12, 2007
Ok so I read about alot of people finding a great find the first month, week, day. I guess that on average, I can pay my machine off in a season. I'm not doing this as a business venture. I'm doing it for fun, where I can break even. Usually any hobby will cost something. Thanks again folks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doodman said:
Ok so I read about alot of people finding a great find the first month, week, day. I guess that on average, I can pay my machine off in a season. I'm not doing this as a business venture. I'm doing it for fun, where I can break even. Usually any hobby will cost something. Thanks again folks!

Depends on how much you paid for your machine....You will see a lot of great finds posted here, what you don't see posted often are all the people who didn't find much at all but clad coins and junk, and there are a lot more of them. It takes a lot of research to make the real good finds on land....Not as much researchis needed in the water, but the cost of the machines go up when you hunt the water, along with the scoops, wetsuits, shoes, finds bags and so on.

I have personal friends who have found $4000 plus diamond rings, 2 carots or more, but my best single diamond ring find is about 3/4 ct...Wife took it and didn't care about an appraisal which costs $75 or more to get....She did the same thing with the other diamond rings I found, including making a toe ring out of the last one I found last year, a small diamond ring...

If you buy a $250 machine then you have a good chance to pay it off in a year, if you buy a $1200 or more then your odds of paying it off in a year go way down... The cost to detect is more then just the cost of the detector, you have wear and tear on your vehicle, gas, parking, food and of course the accessories, which can be high if your hunting in the water...............Also, and most important, don't forget your TreasureNet Charter Membership.... :icon_thumright: ;D

Good luck and good hunting. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
doodman said:

Depends on how much you paid for your machine....You will see a lot of great finds posted here, what you don't see posted often are all the people who didn't find much at all but clad coins and junk, and there are a lot more of them. It takes a lot of research to make the real good finds on land....Not as much researchis needed in the water, but the cost of the machines go up when you hunt the water, along with the scoops, wetsuits, shoes, finds bags and so on.

I have personal friends who have found $4000 plus diamond rings, 2 carots or more, but my best single diamond ring find is about 3/4 ct...Wife took it and didn't care about an appraisal which costs $75 or more to get....She did the same thing with the other diamond rings I found, including making a toe ring out of the last one I found last year, a small diamond ring...

If you buy a $250 machine then you have a good chance to pay it off in a year, if you buy a $1200 or more then your odds of paying it off in a year go way down... The cost to detect is more then just the cost of the detector, you have wear and tear on your vehicle, gas, parking, food and of course the accessories, which can be high if your hunting in the water...............Also, and most important, don't forget your TreasureNet Charter Membership.... :icon_thumright: ;D

Also.... a 1600s or 1700s Spanish silver coin is probably worth more to many of us than a $250 dollar detector! I know when I find one I don't think of it as a $30 payment towards what I spent on my equipment. There's really no point of thinking about it in monetary terms because what's the point to put in the effort, then sell what you find for a few dollars. That wouldn't be much of a hobby, more like going in circles.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
doodman said:

Also.... a 1600s or 1700s Spanish silver coin is probably worth more to many of us than a $250 dollar detector! I know when I find one I don't think of it as a $30 payment towards what I spent on my equipment. There's really no point of thinking about it in monetary terms because what's the point to put in the effort, then sell what you find for a few dollars. That wouldn't be much of a hobby, more like going in circles.

I agree completely with IP, if I find a sSpanish coin, it isn't being sold, it goes in my personal "treasure chest"....

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
doodman, tell your girlfriend that if she can't pay it off with this weeks paycheck, she should look for a better job.

As for a detector paying for itself, it is just like cleaning out Grandma's basement.

The valuable stuff is what you are going to want to keep. The stuff you would sell, no one will buy.

She is your girlfriend, don't let her crush your spirit, hopes, and dreams until you are married.

Fathead

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My perspective is this.

Yes I have sold items I have found. I have been so damn hungry and my family needed groceries so I have sold much of my best stuff.

It has never been a money making venture it has always been a very fun activity that I often do alone. Some days I want to dig old targets and that is what I focus on. Today I dug a nice semi-key wheat. I did dig one or two zinc pennies but they were not my focus today. Some days my focus is quantity of clad change and the possible jewlery item.

Don't think you are going to go out and find gold every time. I have not found any rings in the last 15 times I have been out, and I have not found any gold for at least 2 years.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father paid for his metal detector with gold the first time out on his local beach. Did it do him any good ? Not one bit. He never did as well again and after a particularly bad spell the detector went in the back of a cupboard and didn't come out till I sold it for him a few years later.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On an hourly basis if you are looking to make money you would be better off getting a second job at some fast food place. Even if you have some great places to hunt most silver dimes are barely worth $1. Clad takes forever to amount to anything and the amazing jewelry find are very few and far between. When I started MD'ing years back I was thrilled to be finding the old wheat pennies. After a few seasons I had over 400 of them. Unfortunately my soil corrodes them so bad that my 400 wheats were worth exactly $4. Its the thrill of the hunt and an appreciation for history that makes this a great hobby. Breaking even on the money side is very hard to do.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excluding the 'labor', there are few investments that give you the possibility of earning back your investment in one year; the purchase and diligent use of a metal detector is one such investment.
Don....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably $1000.00 in my setup and it has already paid for itself... The hearing aid I found (and no one claimed) fits me, is top of the line (siemans), almost new, and best of all, is programmed nearly perfectly for my hearing loss... I cant believe the things I hear now that I had been missing.. Crickets, frogs, birds, etc... It is listed at a little over $1500 and up to $2200 on some sites...
With that and the gold/silver I have found, I have probably doubled what I paid for my gear...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the copper country copper rite now is 3.40 a pound you find ten pounds or more a day, you do the math.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fathead said:
She is your girlfriend, don't let her crush your spirit, hopes, and dreams until you are married.

Fathead
:help: :help: :help:

She is interested in what you can buy for HER. Detecting is a hobby that shouldn't have to pay for itself. If you think metal detectors are costly, try tournament Bass fishing. Your girl friend will always demand more of your time and money but will change her tune when you find a nice ring for her.

Don't sell any gold rings to pawn shops or these slugs that advertise on TV. Mindwest Refineries pays you 94% of the spot price for gold unlike the others that your lucky to get half. One gold ring can pay for the detector, but you can't put a price on the fun we have playing in the dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread