How much would an arrowhead like this be worth?

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 0929121754a.jpg
    0929121754a.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 43,806
  • 0929121754b.jpg
    0929121754b.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 42,661
  • 0929121756.jpg
    0929121756.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 42,857
  • 0929121756b.jpg
    0929121756b.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 43,250
  • 0929121757.jpg
    0929121757.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 44,066
Upvote 0

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool! I like the two-tone effect. Don't sell it keep it, if it is real it is priceless, especially if you found it...

peace,
cc

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a bunch of competent appraisers on this forum, hopefully they'll chime in. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity, it looks real to me but I'm no expert...I would still keep it and pass it on in the family. But either way it is beautiful and should sell like hotcakes!

good luck,
cc

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the material & I hope it don't hurt your feelings but, I would not give more than $5 for it and for that price, I'd say keep it if it means anything to you. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dont give the size, and it Looks pretty thick from the pictures.....I agree with GaRebel, it isn't worth a lot dollar wise, it is a field find point, maybe $5-$7 at the most......

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are worth what people will pay...if the buyer is happy and you are happy then all is good. If you feel like you are ripping someone off, you probably are. If they feel you are ripping them off, they won't buy it.

As an inheritance it remains priceless (sentimental value).

cheers,
cc

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mis lead them then I would say yes. Do you know what type it is? As long as you do not mis lead someone it it worth what they are willing to pay. I think I learned that in an ethics class.

OP
OP
bmartin0693

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are worth what people will pay...if the buyer is happy and you are happy then all is good. If you feel like you are ripping someone off, you probably are. If they feel you are ripping them off, they won't buy it.

As an inheritance it remains priceless (sentimental value).

cheers,
cc

That's right its a buyer's market. I wouldn't mislead anyone anyway b/c I'm not gonna sell it. Just figuring on getting some ideas if I do have something people want. What about something like a round base sugar quartz? Does the material add anymore to the value?

xqpx

Sep 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm really no eXpert, but have hunted and found many arrow heads in Texas, plus a few other states. This piece appears to be made from a poor stone choice and was obviously not made by an eXpert napper. I have attempted to make several arrowheads and have done as well if not a little better than this one. As mentioned by others, I would not give or take more than a few dollars for it. Sorry. If desired, I will send you pic of beautiful pieces and my attempts.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPION.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an object of beauty the marbling and two-toning adds interest. From a functional viewpoint the veins would probably cause the arrowhead to fracture and break with use. It's looks fragile where it would be attached to the arrow shaft...

I still would opt to keep rather then sell...money spends easy, but cool items you can enjoy a bit longer.

peace,
cc

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I didn't find, I inherited it. The only thing I can figure out is the material. Any ideas on how to tell if it's real?

Yeah, ask an expert who can see it up close.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to add... the market value of almost anything old will go up with a credible story behind it "provinance" try to at least find out the type and where and by who it was found..that kind of thing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trouble is "provinance" doesn't mean a lot unless there is good paperwork to back it up... Saying my great grandfather found it at an old indian camp in 1800's is still hearsey, but a diary or letter written by great grand father describing the arrow head he found means a lot more...

If you can sell it for $50 I would sell it as fast as possible....Most buyers want give more than $5-$10 for it, most likely closer to $5.00. Put it on Ebay and you might get the high end but you have to deal with fees and shipping then....

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Looks like a Big Sandy or a variant of Kirk point that has been reworked after breaking at the tip. It is banded rhyolite which is a strong stone, typically the bands are as strong as the rest of the stone. It's a typical NC find and of average quality. To the poster critiquing the quality of craftsmanship, NC doe not have the prettiest materials nor the fanciest workmanship in the country, both those claims lie out west somewhere. We do however have an abundance of types and locations in which they can be found.

As said already, it is worth what someone will pay. If it were priced for sale at a show, I would be surprised to see it marked at more than $5-10. If you sold it to someone for $50 I'd guess they were not knowledgeable on artifacts and in sense you might be taking advantage of them. If you ebay it for $50, that's a different story more along the lines of buyer beware.

Nice find all in all.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...clip... NC doe not have the prettiest materials nor the fanciest workmanship in the country...

It looks awfully darn pretty to me...just saying. Also, good to know that the banding isn't problematic as regards to fracturing.

cheers,
cc

Edited to Add:
Good eye for the tip, I was wondering why it looked that way.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread