how old is everyone here?

daveycleaning

Sep 22, 2005
Upvote 4

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
47- .bought My first detector 4 yrs ago and didn't have much luck. Then I found this forum and realized with knowledge and proper technique , Mding could actually produce results. Now the problem is too many hobbies- LOL
Guess its better to be busy.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old? Well I hunted with Socrates and found very little walking the beach. ::) ::) Thin hunted in the 70's hard with a whites machine. Have a fisher now. Burdie

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
46! ::)

Been detecting for five yrs. Bought a Fisher CZ-20 and recently bought a Whites DFX. Was a Little tyke in the mid-60's when dad bought a D-Tex. Been "into" it ever since.

wallycoz

P

Pirates Keep

Well, Im younger then you! 15 to be exact. I almost get my license!!!!!! Lol.

A

agbonanza

45 here and just got back into the hobby (2years)...enjoy it now more than ever...was about your age the last time I MD'd...HH

R

realmhunter

I am 35 and have been detecting for over 20 years. I started out with a cheap detector and soon bought better detectors. The garrets Ace 250 is a good starter but thats only my opinion. my first find was a 1905 Indian head penny..I love them!! Welcome to the hobby.. If you take the time to learn your detector and have Patience it can be a real rewarding hobby!! Good luck Realmhunter ;D

S

shirlchris

79 - 80 in October. Wish I was still young like all you kids.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
shirlchris said:
79 - 80 in October. Wish I was still young like all you kids.

Oh, but you are!!!!!!!!! Age is only a number....it's the heart, soul and mind that keeps us young and a sense of humor don't hurt either!!!!!!!! I should be so lucky to see the young age you are!! :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 27 and started metal detecting when I was 13--and I'll still be detectin' when I'm 80 if I can! I have also found that many detectorists are older. My young friends think it is an absurd hobby, and many of them think it is something people should save for their retirement years. Now, it is true that I don't have as much time for metal detecting as I'd like, but if I had my way I'd be out every day with my Fisher 1266-X. Metal detecting seems like a hobby that you never give up on (unless you had the misfortune of your only experiences with it coming from a $50 Radio Shack detector!). Those that got into the hobby in the 60's and 70's have really got some stories to tell, and most of them will never give up on it (they've just found so much cool stuff). I like to call that time period the "golden age of metal detecting" when every site--even the big ones--was a virgin site. The only thing that has changed is that it takes far more research and a little luck for us now. For example, I had to find my first Civil War buckle in a church yard (battlefield and campsite pickings were getting quite slim). I met an old timer once that said he hunted Civil War sites thirty years ago. He said he only dug the large targets (buckles, cannon balls etc.) and left the bullets because there were thousands of bullets. While there will be places for us to hunt for years into the future, we now have to contend with picked over, "worked out," and "hunted to death" sites. By the way, I see these as a challenge. I have pulled some fine coins and relics from previously hunted sites. It's just more difficult.

An excellent question to ask, though, because I have always been curious about the average age of detectorists. Good luck folks!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The grand age of the Big 60! Started MD'ing in 1969 W/ a $19.95 Mail Order Special that might pick up a .25 if it was laying on the ground in plain sight. Wish I would have known about MD's when I was stationed in Berlin for 2 yrs. Have hunted in Alaska, Honduras, White Mts. of N.H., & Az among other places.

I wish "Good Huntin' " to everyone.

S

sounder

62 years old. I started out in the early 70's with a compass detector.

sounder

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
It all depends on how you count. I'm 33, but that's only because I started counting backwards when I hit 40! (Makes me really 47.) I started MD'ing this year, when I bought an Ace 250 as a birthday present to myself. Don't think I'll ever give it up (the hobby, that is. If something better than the 250 comes along in my budget, I'll probably end up replacing it. But it's a great little machine for the beach combing I mainly do.)

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread