Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one similar to that one and still use it for schools and parks.The thing is a clad finding hound and some jewelry.Keep it as backup.They have them on ebay.Not great value but if it aint eatin dont sell it.HH

number2

May 13, 2005
Hello ,Igot one just like it but it dosent work right and was thinking of having it checked out ,but I dont think it would keep up with my ace 250 . I found two rings in the last week plus a lot of coins. I would show them but I dont know the puter that well.or should iI say .it dosent know me ???

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I still own the Series 3 of this model. Obviously older than the majority of people on this forum. It's value is determined by where you sell it. If it works (looks like good condition) and you sold it on the classifieds on a MD forum probably $25-$50 depending on condition.. If you sold it on E-Bay I won't be surprised $150. Here is a link to where someone actually bought one on E-Bay for $150.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Whites-Coinmast...ryZ67778QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Basically folks on E-Bay are not too bright? regarding the value of used detectors(not manufactured anymore). They usually end up overpriced. Personally I would sell it on E-Bay and if you are new and need a starter detector put the money down on a Ace 250($200).

It has? just occurred to me that perhaps you are the person? that bought the above detector for $150. If that is the case great buy and have fun with your detector. Reminds me of the old joke. Two men discussing the virtues of North Dakota. One man says " Only prostitutes and hockey players come from North Dakota". The other man says" Hey-My wife comes from North Dakota". The other guy says " Ok what team does she play on"

George

R

rvbvetter

Heck ya!! It was out the same time as my first detector a Garrett VLF/TR Deepseeker. I flip flopped on which one to get. The Whites motion detector or Garretts nonmotion VLF/TR. Which puts the Whites at around mid 70's.

Before that it was the big boxed 5000 Whites Thanks for the memories.

It brought a tear to my eye. HH

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
The whole deal with E-bayr's not being so smart kinda struck me funny. When I was checking the prices on that site to buy me a new detector, someone had a used ACE 250 and the bidding was up to $220.00 if they only looked to posts up they could have had a brand new one still in the box for $199.00 free shiping and it came with goodies.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Getting back to the original post-- the photo does not show--- but does the machine have a red-colored push
button; If it does is is a classic. I still have mine. Yes they were first available about 1979 and were known as "whip machine" as the faster yow whipped it over a target, the better it worked. Swish, swish--- like playing golf---

Yes--- it has the 1974 patent number, originally the White's Five-Supreme--- THE FIRST Civilian VLF detector!!!! George Payne the engineer, he is still active and designing machines.

The one shown, if it has a red-push button, is the first White's VLF- VLFGEB. The beginning of the the first 6000 D/series.

A collector would likely pay $150 for it.

R

rvbvetter

Oldest Jim

You're close, so i'll split the cigar with you.
But i had one of these things in my hands a good 2 to 3 years prior to 79.
Though i ended up buying the garrett instead of the whites. Twice i had the oppurtunity to
hunt with people that had the whites. And as you said, they were whipped left to right and back to achieve their best performance.
And if you valued your coil, your shaft and your shins. You didn't walk up on them, if they were unaware. The big knock on them at the time, aside from having to whip them, was that many felt it was too easy to miss good targets in trashier areas. It might not seperate good from bad. Blending
HH

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I had one of those! Bought it at a garage sale in the late '70s for $100. Used the heck out of it for a while, but never could get the discrimination whooped. Everything read the same, only louder or softer. I dug it out again a while back and tried it again. The plastic battery packs had fallen apart and the rechargeable had eaten itself. <sigh> Broke my heart, so I bought my ACE 250. ::) Don't know (don't care ???) where to get replacement battery packs, so I'll pack it back up and see if someone down the road wants it and cares enough to fix it up for their kids or grandkids. It was fun while it lasted, though, but you just can't beat the discrimination and visuals the new ones have. -Noodle

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a couple of these back in the late 70'' to early 80's.
You have to whip the coil in order to discriminate.
Tip: You may want to consider making this unit a hip mount. I broke several handles before I converted it into a hip mount.
It is a pretty good detector otherwise. (good discrim.)

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
As I remember, the detector photo'd did not come out until 1979. It was very popular and White's could not keep up with the demand. I got mine in early 1981. It is the first White's "6000 D." There were other detectors that could be confused to this one. But thet thay have only had TR-discimination, not the GEB. Just needed to ground balance and switch to GEB disc with the dial set to "foil" and go for it. It came out just after the Bounty Hunter RB-7. They even used the same coils and were similar. You only had to whip in the VLF/GEB discrimination mode. The two battery packs are still available, maybe at Radio Shack. Just use quality "AA's" such as any alkaline non rechargeable.

The White's Five-Supreme came out in about 1974. It had the "terraine attuner" (spelling) which was was the first of the civilian ground balancing machines. However, the military first came out with a VLF (Surprise?) in 1943--- The SCR-625. It was the machine during WW-2. However it became obsolete during
Korea as mines were more plastic and less metal. Frank Fish and Harvey Ninninger both used surplus
SCR's. Frank to find caches and Dr. Ninninger to find meteorites around Arizona's Great Crater. This was then in the early 1950's.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually? RV is correct there was a "whip it" Whites VLF discriminator in 1977/78. There was an earlier version that predated the Coinmaster 6000. Far better memory than I possess RV.
White's first motion-disc VLF was the Coinmaster 6/DB which was available 1977/1978(Thanks to Carl at the Geo Tech forum) The photo is of my Coinmaster 6/DBH(hipmount) which is from my collection(actually the bottom of my closet). This makes sense as I owned a? A.H. Pro during 1976 and updated shortly after to the 6/DB. The even older Coinmaster V was also VLF (all metal) with a TR-disc mode.? Carl is not sure if it was the first White's VLF.

George

Attachments

• DSCN0051.JPG
    DSCN0051.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,394

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
The 6DB may have been a special chest/hip mount; and the meter may have been at the top of the case, but this is all history. And our memories fade. However I still bave my RED-push button 6000/D. It was a
"Whip in VLF-motion Discrimination" machine. It is somewhere in my garage and the last I used it it was working fine. I first used a metal detector--- basic training in 1953--- it was a military mine detector; the SCR-625.

Bakergeol; changing the subject; I believe we both made thin sections many years ago. I believe we are also interested in "meteorites." I'm more into the stones. I have been writing freelance articles since the late 1970's, and stilI writing occasional freelance articles for the International California Mining Journal <www.icmj.com>

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi oldest Jim
Are you the Jim I think you are? Went to Mackay?
Yes you are correct. Years ago as a graduate student I had to make thin sections for my professors. Can't say I enjoyed it. Yes I also am interested in meteorites. The photo is of a Franconia meteorite I posted on another forum. It is obviously not a thin section. It was taken with a Nixon coolpix 4500 camera with a microscopic lens. I bought this camera and lens to take microscopic pictures in the field.

George

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 806
R

rvbvetter

Hey! That's some neat stuff!! Do you find these meteorites?
And thanks for the verificatoin.
Tried to PM but your box was full. HH

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Hello George--- you are correct; Mackay 1954. Went on in 1968 to get a teaching credential in secondary education--- science and math; but taught with my minor in Industrial Arts. Junior high level in Fontana CA.

I made about 18 thin sections as my advanced project. Slow by hand. If the section had quartz it was my
"pathfinder." [email protected]

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sears also used to sell that model-called it Sears Best. Had it in the closet for years and gave it to my brother for Christmas-still worked perfect. Needed a manual-called Sears, they said they'd have to order it and would be $10. Buncha bull! Called White's and they sent manual and cassette tape of operation and quick Q&A for FREE along with other little accessories. Now that's what I call customer service!
Used it in shallow water, had to tie a small bag of sand to the top of the coil to keep it from floating up. I remember it was deadly on coins and could even pretty much separate nickles from tabs, course there were a lot less tabs around then as well. ;)

R

rvbvetter

Not tryin to be a remember it all. But had a friend back then with the sears one.
Looked pretty much the same, except it was a lighter blue. Were they all the machine, that the one you would buy from whites was? HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
They were identical, although kind of silver with a hint of blue to it. The only difference was the Sears markings and their modeling # but had a Sweet Home, Oregon manufacturer listed in tiny letters on the meter, if my memory serves me right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread