How should I detect an old 1700s cabin site?

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
How should I detect an old 1700's cabin site?

I have a G2. I have been searching an old site in the woods that once was a log cabin, probably in the 1700's or so. There are actually two sites. Both have wells located 20 foot away. There are no logs left, just stones and trees growing in the middle. I have found broken Mason jars with lids and some other pieces of metal but nothing good. I am getting lots of junk signals 20's to 40's. Will it go deep enough for this site? When the friggin snow leaves I will try the other site since the stone walls are still stacked. Bill

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: How should I detect an old 1700's cabin site?

oldbattleaxe said:
I have a G2. I have been searching an old site in the woods that once was a log cabin, probably in the 1700's or so. There are actually two sites. Both have wells located 20 foot away. There are no logs left, just stones and trees growing in the middle. I have found broken Mason jars with lids and some other pieces of metal but nothing good. I am getting lots of junk signals 20's to 40's. Will it go deep enough for this site? When the friggin snow leaves I will try the other site since the stone walls are still stacked. Bill

I would concentrate on the cellars and the fireplace area. You'll need to rake the ground bare and grid it. I would shovel off about a foot at a time and run it through a classifying screen (1/4"), then detect the layers from there on in. Good Luck. - Terry

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010

There seems to be lots of small metal particles. My detector is constantly going off. Just scrap iron pieces and small othe metal objects. Apporoximately 20 years a go the area was logged. I am sure that this area was detected then. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be some goodies there. Bill

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Try to stay away from the trashy areas for now. Look for a place in the "yard" where recreational activities would have been. A nice good flat area near the house would be a good place to start. If you get into a trashy spot then slow down and use very short swings of the coil (just a few inches). Cellar hole sites can take months to work. Slow down and take your time. Persistence is the key.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread