How stable are Whites Detectors with EMI?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking into getting a new detector some time in the near future. I have it narrowed to Whites, Fisher, Teknetics, and the Makro Racer. What bothers me about Fisher and Teknetics are the EMI issues of the detectors they make. Not to familiar with the history of Makro and the fact they are made in Turkey which makes me leery of purchasing the Racer. So the question is....How stable are Whites detectors when it comes to EMI? My first detector back in 1985 was a Whites Liberty 2....and that was a very long time ago! Would like to go back to Whites..

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites detectors are very stable and don't suffer from EMI as much as many do. It really depends on a manufactures specific model more than a brand. The Whites V3i can be more susceptible to EMI than most of their other detectors, much like the Fisher F70 & F75 models. The latest Fisher F70 & F75 models handle EMI much better than their earlier versions. On the other hand, The Fisher F19, and Gold Bug detectors and the Teknetics G2, and G2+ are about as stable as any detector I've seen. You can usually run these at full gain with no EMI issues. Your best bet is to narrow down the models you're interested in and then do a forum search on those models.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple adjustment on my dfx if i have emi problems :icon_thumleft:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very stable, the d2 was the only coil that gave me issues. The "First Texas" machines from what ive read are the most prone.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Fisher F75SE has no EMI issues...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had 3 White's machines that I have used extensively over the years and I have either not suffered greatly from EMI or I was able to cancel it out. I have sold/owned many times more than that in White's machines that I cannot comment about. Compared to the Deus or the Garrett AT Pro, the White's that I have used more extensively (IDX PRO, Classic and M6) they are definitely more stable in these situations. I did have a V3I for a short while and it suffered more from EMI, but I was able to cancel it out relatively easily.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found for the most part that Whites detectors are about as stable as any others that I have used. My modded M6 is my favorite machine and I haven't had any issues with EMI at my usual locations. I recently purchased a MX5 that seems slightly more unstable but I don't have much time on it.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a rough question as it depends on where you live and hunt.. Here in urban PA I have used only whites, and there have been few places I had sufficient EMI issues where I can not hunt. However my older DFX does have to be dialed way back when near leaky Transformers. The frequency the machine runs at is a big factor in how bad 60Hz power effects it.. The DFX may be unusable in 3kHz only but normally run just fine in 15kHz. My coinmaster GT (new model in 2013 but not high end) will run fine unless EMI is extremely high which has happened in only a couple of places (8kHz machine). The XLT (6.5 kHz) was better than the DFX in 3kHz but much worse than the GT at 8kHz.

I would not make EMI the deciding factor on a MD purchase, there are so many other things that matter far more, EMI would be well down the list I should think.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread