How stupid do they think we are???

S

Smee

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/12/news/economy/inflation_outlook/index.htm?postversion=2008061308 said:
"On Friday, the Labor Department reported its latest reading on inflation. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 0.6% in May. Economists were expecting a 0.5% increase according to Briefing.com. This was the biggest jump in a year. And over the past twelve months, prices are up 4.2%.

The so-called core CPI, which excludes food and energy, also picked up speed. It rose 0.2%, in line with forecasts. The core CPI was up 0.1% in April."

Does the Fed really think we are stupid enough to believe that? My grocery bill in the last month has gone up more than that. Add transportation, utilities, and such . . .

Can they really think we are that stupid?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Smee said:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/12/news/economy/inflation_outlook/index.htm?postversion=2008061308 said:
The so-called core CPI, which excludes food and energy, also picked up speed. It rose 0.2%, in line with forecasts. The core CPI was up 0.1% in April."

Does the Fed really think we are stupid enough to believe that? My grocery bill in the last month has gone up more than that. Add transportation, utilities, and such . . .

Can they really think we are that stupid?

Ummm Not lookin for a fight here Smee, but you say your food and energy costs have gone up more than that. But they say in the line above that the Core Consumer Price Increase doesn't include food nor energy costs. :P

OP
OP
S

Smee

That's ok, don't have any reason to take offense against you.

If they're not included, then its not a true guage of inflation on any level. Yes, those prices are volatile, but they ARE reality.

Did my medicine go up? Yes, but that was a result of their increased cost for transportation. So . . . I guess it wasn't an increase in their eyes :tard:

Services I use have gone up, but again, it's due to increased fuel costs . . . So I guess those don't count either :tard:

The price of filing charges in municipal court have DOUBLED . . . but that doesn't count. :icon_scratch:

The cost of service of summons has DOUBLED . . . but that doesn't count :tongue3:

Everything our store buys has a fuel surcharge or increased shipping charges . . . again, fuel doesn't count ???

The only thing that hasn't gone up is my salary :-\

What items do they use to track inflation? :icon_scratch:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
We are just now (in my location) seeing gas hit $4.00 (+).

A local gas station owner is taking a loss of 2 - 3 cents per gallon to keep customers comming in for the other stuff. He ALSO stated that he's selling MORE gas than he ever has and it's like that across the area!

Prices are the highest ever - and people are buying more then ever... :tard:

I'm drawing no conclusion - just putting it out there.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Higher usage during the summer time isn't unusual Jim. But it can't actually be more than ever. If he's losing money on his gas sales then he'd go out of business quicker the more gas he sells. :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe What is happening is People are topping off
as often as Possable Because they fear if they wait till
later they will pay 10 cents more a gallon.

Anyone who just drove a quarter Tank out is going to Fill up
as soon as possable.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
MD Dog said:
Higher usage during the summer time isn't unusual Jim. But it can't actually be more than ever. If he's losing money on his gas sales then he'd go out of business quicker the more gas he sells. :tongue3:

I'm sure he's taking summer volumn into account... basically saying he's selling more gas than he ever has, and maybe it's because he's a cent or two under everyone... I dunno.

Instead of me sounding like an idiot, I'll just post the link! LMAO...

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080620/NEWS01/806200330/1002

I'll shut-up now. :)

OP
OP
S

Smee

Now Jim, everyone knows that I'm the village idiot here.

As long as you don't sound like me, or agree with me too much, you're OK.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
In the spin of things, methods of calculation, and factors considered, and omitted are changing.

Depending upon the desired result of the presentation, data will be selected.

Our resident psy-ops man will attest to that...

Cash and carry-out food products have gone up a minimum of 20% or more, most recently.
Contributing factors are of no importance.
It's the impact that counts.

A food dollar goes further when purchasing single ingredient items.
Any additives or process involved is costly.

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread