How Stupid

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Just how stupid do you have to be to work for , or be a "Big Wig" for the City of Tulsa?
They tore down an old school and leveled the lot. Prime detecting site. So I call up to get permission to detect it. After waiting for them to decide who was in charge, and four days latter, the answer,
"No, we don't think it would be a good idea due to liability reasons."
"What liability?" I asked.
"Well, if you fall or get hurt, we don't want you sueing the City." Was their stupid answer.

So ok, I guess I'll sue them anyway for discrimination. There are parks, play grounds with swings, slides, monkey bars, jungle Jims for kids to fall off of and break their necks, plus golf courses where you can get creamed by a flying ball, basketball courts, swimming pools to drown in and what else I can't even think of.
They all have to go to protect the kids and us old farts who may fall down, and save the stupid city big wigs from a suit. Get friggin' real. Where and how does the MD clubs in Tulsa hunt? Are they special?
I'm going to write and call the mayor and city council, the Tulsa World and everyone else. I'm so pissed!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt all over the City of Tulsa. There is nothing in the city codes that says you cannot metal detect on city property. Of course there are some restricted areas where it might be dangerous such as near the heavy machinery at the water plant, etc. The City of Tulsa doesn't own the school property anyway. School property belongs to the Tulsa Public Schools System that is independant of the City. Most of the school playgrounds are gated and locked when school is not in session. Why? I asked. They said that some of the kids come in and play on the playground equipment and at nearly every school kids have climbed up on the roof and vandalized the air conditioning units, so they lock them up. I would love to hunt the school playgrounds, but I can understand why they are locked up. So far there has not been any problem hunting on public property in the city and if you call them up and stir things up , it may result in metal detecting being banned. Do what Stoney suggested and look into joining one of the area treasure hunting clubs. I was formerly one of those stupid City employees....for 32 years and I know what I am talking about. Neither I nor anyone else, employee or not get any special priviliges. Now I'm just a stupid private citizen who likes to metal detect, just like you. M :wink: nty

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi b-d, here in the Moore/OKC area, I've never had a problem searching a school or park. I don't ask permission and so far have never been asked to leave. (since 97) Of course private property is a different matter.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James, I will be in Caldwell, Kansas this week end for the Chisholm Trail hunt being put on by Burdie. Maybe next time? Monty

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beav, I'm a former candidate for City Council. I came very close in the primary, but lost. Then I supported the candidate from the other party and she won. I did this because my opponent lied to me in order to win, so I was happy to get him out. Let me discuss this with my new friend on the Council and see what I can accomplish. I used to hunt TU, but the new administration is not friendly to local residents or people in the neighborhoods that surround the campus, so they started refusing some years ago. Same lame excuse you ran into. Let me recommend the Renaissance Neighborhood as an area to hunt. I have lived in this house since 1940 and there are plenty of silver coins in the ground around here. The people are nice and I get permission to hunt a lot more than half the time.

They should have a simple release form for us to sign, to open up some more areas for us.

-Rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread