Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a spot that had a schoolhouse that is on the 1915 topo. I found it about a year ago and I'm dying to get permission. The place is about 1hr 30min away. I have a phone # that I got off of google earth street view. The property is now a business. Should I call or go in person. Here is the aerial from 1948. image.png

Upvote 1

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Asking in person is always best, but I have had lots of luck calling up on the phone. Many places I never met the landowner in person, only talked on the phone. After I get permission in person I then always call them up(unless they live right at the place I want to detect. ) I figure most that really don't want to give permission it doesn't matter even if you do talk to them face-to-face.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like asking in person, & I use my treasure hunting business cards to help. There are instances though where the property owner lives out of the area, and all you can do is call. I have much success either way.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more of a face to face guy. I only call when I have already been granted permission. I call before a return trip to see if it's okay that I stop by and do some more dirt fishing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In person and dress like you own a Ferrari with a Beemer as a horse of last resort. Smile big. You can get the truck out later as well as something less tasty to dig in (clothes, that is). BTW I do not own a Ferrari or Beemer, but I do have a TRUCK. If you appear like you really know your stuff, permission comes easier.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done both, & both work, but person is better. Try & sell your case by putting together some historical research on that area & show your enthusiasm for that aspect, it helps. Willingness to share will open more doors as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the advice. I tryed calling the phone number listed and it is no longer working. Looks like I'll half to make the drive and try in person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread