How to Assign Value: Old Timer's Collection

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Local Old Timer who collected 100 points from his own fields has invited me to his home to 'view' his collection. Authenticity is not an issue. I estimate he is in his 80's. If he was to offer his collection for sale, how in the heck do I begin to assign a value? Let's assume he does not have any Paleo, any Clovis points. Let's assume he has more common central New York gray flint points: Lamoka, Jack's Reef, Genesee, Brewerton's, Susquehanna, Madison, Fox Creek, Levanna, Meadowood. Let's assume all in 'average' condition.

(Ebay has some of these NY points for as little as $4 or $5 or $6 or $8. Hard to believe. Why others are priced at $14 or $16 or $40 ! ... I do not know)

Let's just say that I need to learn a whole lot more about this market for projectile points....because I just do not understand $6 or $8 for a 4000 year old projectile point. And yet.....I can't pay 100 times $6 or $8 for this collection of 100 points. Sad but true.

So what goes into determining value? Age? Size? Condition? Material? All of these....?

These points would join my collection which will one day be donated or passed on to a younger collector: they would not be re-sold. Would an offer of $250 or $300 be an insult?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one, as they are his personal finds and probably mean a lot to him.

I would just ask him what he wants for them and go from there. At least you'd have an idea of what he is thinking.

Also sometimes trading something has more value than cash... just a thought

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 pieces of top notch Points would bring some decent cash and $6 each would be good deal.

100 field grade pieces would be worth about $1.50 to $2 each.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I would ask him first what he wants for them. Just me, I would ask him why he wanted to sell them? My collection will be passed on in my family, just like those before me did. No need to ask that though.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pic of the collection would be the ticket on the value. My collection would be priceless if I was alive when the offer came. It takes so many hours just to find 1 nice piece I would be losing value for sure. But its hard to put a price on history. So lets see the pic if the owner will let you.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just back from Old Timer's place....couldn't get any pictures...but I would say the collection consisted of about 100 1"-2" gray flint points which looked to be types I already own: Lamokas, Brewerton's, Jack's Reefs, Levannas...looked like many duplicates of a few types. Here's the sticky part: they were all glued to a piece to thick paper, mounted in a frame. I asked what type of glue he used....had no idea. So now I am thinking about the work to remove glue from 100 points....if
I can identify the proper solvent. Hot water? Acetone? Alcohol? Petroleum based solvent? And what if the ages-old glue does not come off easily...or at all?

Can 'super glue' or 'crazy glue' be dissolved and removed from flint?

I am thinking hard about passing on this collection. I may email Old Timer to ask him to try to remove glue from one point and see how it goes....but I am not optimistic he will try.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Most folks used plain ole Elmers white glue, if that's the case, removal won't be an issue. Based on all that you've expressed, I would pass as well however, I wouldn't let residual glue be the difference maker, matter of fact, keeping in the display is probably the best way.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had same issue with frame I acquired. Various types of glue. Some came off easily in boiling water, others I soaked in gas...it worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread