Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I did NOT blow myself up. Never have found an intact artillery shell from the Civil War, and I actually don't own one. Until today, that is.
Was lollygagging around some relic and antique shops and stopped in this one I had been in a few centuries ago.:hello2:
After asking the owner what he had, he pulled out this really nice looking shell, and gave me a price and I told him I'd take it.
We started discussing the safety of these things, and he proceeded to tell me this one was perfectly safe and had been unloaded.

Then he LOOKED at it. He said it was the type with the wood fuse and water would have found its way inside, so no problem with safety.

To prove it, he (gasp) took a steel screwdriver and a hammer and proceeded to drive it into the top of the shell where the fuse would have been, to demonstrate
how easily it would go all the way through.

Well, it only went 1/2 inch with resistance.

I'll be picking it up next week AFTER it's defused. OMG already!

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Explosives are a very interesting sometimes over time, they go inert, and sometimes they go nuts. Have a shot of good Scotch to celebrate you are still alive. And run like H... from nuts(mean experts )with screwdrivers. Papa

S

stefen

If I'd been there with you, that brown patch you see....well it's a burnout...

I'd be doing an imitation of the Roadrunner...

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Reminds me of a cartoon I once saw where someone had the dud job. Checking artillery shells by hitting the nose fuse with a hammer to make sure it was a dud.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Black powder generally isn't unstable (though should be handled with respect) but the primers and fuses used over the years had some interesting fulminates of mercury and iodine and all kinds of things that, when repeatedly damp and dry, make crystals and other neat compounds with the nitrogen from the powder in the shell that ARE unstable.

You don't want to be that 1:1,000,000 rare occurrence that does wake up an old shell.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!!!!!
Glad your still here with us!!!!
Ya lose nuts with hammers & screwdrivers around "inert" bombs are not a good thing!

....geeez, and here I'm afraid I may probe the ground and hit the trigger of a loaded gun, and have a mishap!
Your my hero!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guarantee I'd never do it and was glad to get out of there.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If God only would stop protecting morons they would remove themselves from the gene pool.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend told me of a woman he knows that uses a 105mm Howitzer shell for an ash tray.
When he looked on the bottom of the shell he noticed the primer didn't appear to be struck.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want to be that 1:1,000,000 rare occurrence that does wake up an old shell.
I have always said, it doesn't matter WHAT the odds are, if you are the ONE (1:......). :notworthy:
Whether lotto, live shells, or whatever......

Glad you still with us smokeycat, how many lives did THAT burn outta ya? :laughing7: :cat:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.:laughing7:
Hold-my-beer-13.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smokey,

Be careful with that thing.....several years back a so called expert who had disarmed over 200 shells over the years managed to blow himself and his house up.

Not sure where the news story would be but pretty sure someone can track it down.

Regards + HH

Bill

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL My first job in the munitions field was Sandblasting the nose and tail fuse wells of Mk-82 and M-117 bombs. On my first day of duty I was given a Hammer and instructed to perform dud checks on all the incoming bombs. Being the good Jeep that i was, i complied and for two days straight, i ran around hitting bombs with a hammer looking for duds!
Reminds me of a cartoon I once saw where someone had the dud job. Checking artillery shells by hitting the nose fusfe with a hammer to make sure it was a dud.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't buy it, as a matter of fact when I came back the next week the owner had sold it elsewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread