How to carry tools when sniping?

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im wondering how you guys who do a lot of sniping carry your tools/gear. I really only carry a hammer, pry tool and snuffer but when swimming around in the river it seems easy to lose. Also, my river has cliffs for banks so you can only get up or down stream by swimming. Since we cover a lot of ground how do you carry food or your pack with you? Is there a backpack designed for this sort of thing?

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well if you got to swim to get to a location, why not put your stuff into a innertube that has a metal/plastic washtub in it and a rope to tow it behind you.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When in the water, I like everything clipped to me. There are some great ways to attach things at dive shops. I guess you could also stuff into a scuba mesh bag. I hate losing stuff, so like to know all is secure.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mesh Abalone dive tube with zipper closure. Also has a two pound ball and twenty foot of 1/4" rope to anchor it near me.

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Carrying tools while in the river and bringing your other gear along safe and dry are two entirely different animals!

Dry bags meant for rafting and kayaking are great to keep your food, clothes, etc. So long as you don't have bricks in there, they should float just fine with the trapped air that's in between all your stuff. Just be sure to tie 'em down once you're off on your sniping mission so they don't float...away.

As for carrying tools while floating / swimming, I improvised an auxiliary harness out of paracord, which I like better than any of the geologists' or builders' tool belts on the market. If you aren't handy with knots in string, check out a regular nylon webbing tool belt. You can find them online or at hardware stores.

The washtub or bucket inside an inner tube sounds amusing, it could work all right so long as you don't encounter any rapids! :laughing7:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply strap on a nice big fanny pack to my front and good to go as all my tools fit it and all compartments have zippers so nothing gets lost.Garage sales,swaps,craigslist has a cornucopia of fishermen multi-pocketed belly packs also-John

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
When I did the sniping/ fanning thing back in the late 1970's I used the leg off a pair of old blue jeans cut off at the knee.Sew up the bottom by the cuff and punch holes around the top material..add your old leather shoestring as a drawstring aand your set.For a gold bottle I used a small fat squat pimento bottle with holes punched in the lid so it would sink if swept downstream.Large surgical tweezers with serrated tangs also help.I would also carry a single jack(3lb hammer) and handsteel in the sack,and prybar in my hand.

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just carry as much as I can in the 5 gal bucket

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I dont swim with tools but I carry them in a backpack on the hike in and out. I tie a rope on my hand dredge/sucker like a sling and carry it on my back.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess the main thing to consider, is safety first! No matter what you use to transport gear while swimming, diving and/or sniping, make sure you have a quick release option in case you get in trouble and you are being pulled under by the weight. While I do very little sniping, I carry most of my' prospecting tools, hammers...chisels...pry bars...hand dredge...shovels,...Gold pans and classifiers in a backpacking Duffle bag, then only take out what I need in the area I am working. I carry my' buckets in hand coming and going but if I need an extra hand, I may tie them to the Duffle bag, especially when empty.

Frank

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is how I carry mine.

images

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The washtub or bucket inside an inner tube sounds amusing, it could work all right so long as you don't encounter any rapids! :laughing7:

Actually a tub with a locking lid works really well between 2 innertubes. It can roll over in the rapids and hold all of your food and gear when gone over night. I use to use paracord and innertubes when going out for a day. You just pack everything into the box and tie it between the tubes. Then tie it off or put it on shore when you have found the place to work. The dry bags work great with them also :) It was a funny look when I was on the river with the raft tied to me with paracord along with all of the food, drinks and gear on an overnight float trip sniping down the river.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Jansport hiking backpack that I don't care if I get wet.
When it eventually fails on me, Jansport will replace it free.
It even has a camelback but being snipers we don't need that unless we are hiking in. :)

My BASIC tools that are always with me, Estwing Geo Hammer - Mask and Snorkel - Harbor Freight rubberized gloves - My Custom snuffer bottles.
90+% of the time, that is all that I need.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NeoTokyo...How about we get a look at your custom sucker bottles......please
Bob

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog that picture is kinda small but that looks like a Mosin Nagant on his back. :D

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Underburden, soon enough >:]
You guys (probably) wont be able to find the same tube that I use though.
I am trying to turn on a profit on these after all, all be it a spall profit do to the cost of the tube. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread