HOW TO CHANGE TO MINELAB FROM FISHER

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IM THINKING OF REPLACING MY CZ 20 WITH A EXCALIBUR, WHY? I am very sad about Fisher selling out.I have always been a Fisher fan from the begining of the cz5.I love the different tones for different metals.I have a masters degree in the sounds of a good tone for a gold ring on the CZ 20.Answer this,can the Excalibur really tell between pull tabs and gold?Please answer only if you have used both .

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said only answer if used both and I haven't, sorry I can answer about the Excal....I have 2 Excals, one with WOT coil and one with Sunray S-12......You can not tell the difference between most pulltabs and gold, on some pieces I have been able to, but on many others, they sounded just like pulltabs......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
stevefisher, you say:

"I have a masters degree in the sounds of a good tone for a gold ring on the CZ 20"

Are you trying to say you can currently tell the difference between a tab, (or foil, or nickel, etc...) from a gold ring, on your CZ20? If so, then stick with your CZ 20, because you've done what no one else can do.

No, you can not tell the difference between gold rings and tabs on ANY machine.

But you've got to remember, there's oodles of sizes and shapes and different alloys of gold rings, that can read all over the lower end of the conductivity scale. So yeah: you can tell the difference between various low conductors. So some gold rings, for example, will read lower than tabs (on both your CZ20 and the Excal). Some gold rings will read exactly on tab (on both your CZ20 and the Excal) and some gold rings will read higher than tabs (on both your CZ20 and the Excal).

Both the CZ20 and the Excal operate off the same discriminating principle: conductivity. Period. Neither has a magic method of discerning aluminum verses gold. The CZ20 probably has less categories or quadrants or whatever you want to call them of TID scales. Like your CZ20 only has 7 or 8 sound quadrants, right? But the excal will have a more expanded audio range of scales. It still not does tell the difference between gold and aluminum though.

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Tom_in_CA said:
stevefisher, you say:

"I have a masters degree in the sounds of a good tone for a gold ring on the CZ 20"

Are you trying to say you can currently tell the difference between a tab, (or foil, or nickel, etc...) from a gold ring, on your CZ20? If so, then stick with your CZ 20, because you've done what no one else can do.

No, you can not tell the difference between gold rings and tabs on ANY machine.

But you've got to remember, there's oodles of sizes and shapes and different alloys of gold rings, that can read all over the lower end of the conductivity scale. So yeah: you can tell the difference between various low conductors. So some gold rings, for example, will read lower than tabs (on both your CZ20 and the Excal). Some gold rings will read exactly on tab (on both your CZ20 and the Excal) and some gold rings will read higher than tabs (on both your CZ20 and the Excal).

Both the CZ20 and the Excal operate off the same discriminating principle: conductivity. Period. Neither has a magic method of discerning aluminum verses gold. The CZ20 probably has less categories or quadrants or whatever you want to call them of TID scales. Like your CZ20 only has 7 or 8 sound quadrants, right? But the excal will have a more expanded audio range of scales. It still not does tell the difference between gold and aluminum though.

Tom in Ca, you are correct, anyone that passes on a target that is in is within the sound range for gold because he feels he can determine the difference between gold and pulltabs has passed over a lot of good targets, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I go the other way, I will dig targets that have very little Chance of being anything of value.

OP
OP
stevefisher7767

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
DARN IT.... I was looking forward to the people here to tell me that i was not going to have to keep digging all them pull tabs.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have experence using both the Excal and CZ-20 and Tom is right. While both can make some differences in the way the sound is given in the ear phones, it is more to do with the speed of the sweep, conductivity and position of the target and not any difference in the brand of detector.

D

digum smacks

id like to respond to this question,i agree with tom,but heres my story.when i sent my machine to minelab they cut off 3 1/2 feet of coil cable,why?dont know mabie for faster response time?now i let a few people listen to my machine and none of the sounds are what they were before .this machine is so crazy, a dime now sounds exactly like a gold ring used to.a nickel sounds just like aluminum foil used to.i know machines no 1 sounds the same but this one is off the spectrum

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excals are the best. I had a CZ-20 almost new in the plastic box that I sold to someone (won't mention names Cotton) that I didn't even get to try.

As for those that don't bother to dig the pulltabs, keep doing that, please. It leaves more the rest of us. My best find was where a hunter had just passed through. I dug the pull tabs and got the $2000 ring. Oh well......

Of course there are areas that are filled with millions of pulltabs that would take a thousand years to dig them all out, one example the Clearwater side of the bridge going to Tampa. (That's the only time I will ever disclose the name of a hunting spot ;D)

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
No one makes a detector that will tell all gold from Tabs and other trash. As soon as they do I will pay $5000 for it
and Quit work and do nothing but hunt Jewelry. With the price of gold I think I could make a pretty good living.

Jason

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once again i will ask.......you are sad about fisher "selling out" but not minelab?????????????
there are other forums where detector/detector company bashing is welcome, please go to one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread