How to clean coins and other items found in salt water

mommagpx

Feb 5, 2009
I live in Sunny south Florida and have been detecting for a couple of years now. No major finds yet compared to what I've been reading. I am so jealous. I was wondering how to clean the coins and items I have found? Who knows maybe under all that "stuff" I might have something of value. Thanks for all your help. I am so excited about this website. I had no idea there were so many of us out there.

mommagpx

S

seger98

Welcome to TreasureNet! Good to have another new member.

As for cleaning the coins, alot of use a tumbler to clean those. What else do you need to clean?

Chris

OP
OP
M

mommagpx

Feb 5, 2009
Hey Chris,

I am new to this site and don't know how to just reply to you. I was told to soak the coins in amonia, I hope I haven't damaged any of the things I have found. I have found a gold ring and a gold medallion of some sort. I looks like a dragon and I don't have a tumbler and don't know how to clean these items so I can see what they are. Thanks again. mommagpx

S

seger98

The gold & silver items you find, if you just got some kind of jewlery cleaner to clean those with, should be alright, as far as the amonia, that sounds alittle smelly & extreme, a rock tumbler with water, alittle sand & some dawn dishsoap is what I use. any other older coins I wouldn't clean.

To just email someone, under their name it says "send pm" just hit that and there ya go.

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread