How to clean Tar or Asphalt off a copper coin?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas, or this stuff.........
Formula 88 cleaner and degreaser. They use it on the heavy machinery, spray it on, hose it off.
Formula88.com

I once had to clean road tack out of my dryer, I used alcohol and acetone. My friend had to do the same thing, but she used gasoline. It messed up her liver functions for over a year from breathing the fumes in an enclosed area(and she's a nurse and should have known better).

eta: baby oil will sludge that stuffs up too. it's just real icky and kinda nasty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then... looks like I'm using gas

thanks, all

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas, or this stuff.........
Formula 88 cleaner and degreaser. They use it on the heavy machinery, spray it on, hose it off.
Formula88.com

I once had to clean road tack out of my dryer, I used alcohol and acetone. My friend had to do the same thing, but she used gasoline. It messed up her liver functions for over a year from breathing the fumes in an enclosed area(and she's a nurse and should have known better).

eta: baby oil will sludge that stuffs up too. it's just real icky and kinda nasty.

I have several options to use but I wasn't sure if they would harm the copper or not.. I have heavy duty degreaser.. Thought about using PB Blaster, rubbing alcohol or even nail polish remover...

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.. Will try WD40 now..

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone and Xylene are about the only solvents that are considered safe to use on coins.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend gas too, though WD-40 might do less harm to the coin. I only had this problem once (on a memorial cent), so I just used a grill brush and released it into circulation.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used WD40 and it worked perfectly on the tar.. Came off with a Qtip and very little effort.. Only problem is that the date and back side are a bit toasty.

WD40 CENT 1.jpg WD40 CENT 2.jpg

Undecided what to do next.. I'm just trying to get a good date on it.. (and experiment of course) 5 minutes of electrolysis? Hot Peroxide? Olive oil?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try the acetone to see if any more crud will come off around the date. If that doesn't do anything, soak it in olive oil for a few days and try again with the toothpick and Q-tip. Peroxide and/or electrolysis would be my next choice if the first two don't yield a good result. From what I can see, it looks to be a 193-something. Anything newer that a 1934 would have virtually no collector value in that condition. A 1931S would be a nice find though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread