DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry that I dont have a pic, but I found a token today and im trying to figure out the best way to clean it. I think its brass, but theres still some brown and reddish spots on it. Some of the letters seem to be fading so im not sure what to do. If any1 can help, i'd appreciate it.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i'm not an expert on cleaning tokens. but would like to say... think, 'good as found'.

think patina 'at least at first'-mild cleansers not acidic.
try toothbrush and mild cleanser or soaking in oil for days. if it's crusted, soaking first helps--'in various imaginable concoctions'. tumbling sounds good but i have never done it. and there are surely other ways...hope people share.

here's a way that works pretty good-much success
get a piece of laminate--drill out various size holes for different size tokens (or coins). set the token in and go at it with a "pink pearl eraser". supposedly the pink eraser is not abrasive and does a bank up job on a wide variety of issues most tokens have.

it depends on what you are going to do with the token. keep it or sell it...a lot depends on the person.
my preference is don't clean it unless can't read it? patina is good. crusty stuff bad.
BUT....!
my thought is get to it's best readable condition if that involves affecting the patina - so be it.
i can say i prefer uncleaned-pristine-excellent condition tokens all day. in reality, looking at my tokens, i just hope to find a better one if it's real bad pitted, missing letters, words worn off....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread