How to date horseshoes?

Rsmith44

Greenie
Mar 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I recently dug up an older looking horseshoe that I'm not sure how to date. I have reason to believe it's fairly old since it uses square nails, it looks different than recent ones I found, and also I found it along side a bust dime dated 1821. If anyone has info on how to date horseshoes or can tell me info about the one I found I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!

image.jpg

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar one that I'm still cleaning. I can't even try to date it because it has so much build up. For help with your question, just do a forum search in the upper right corner. You can look at previous answers for the same question.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
5.jpg This is a picture of a Capewell horseshoe nail. You can go down to the feed store and buy one of these today. Horseshoe nails have been the same shape for many years. The head is tapered so that when it is seated in the shoe, and the shoe wears down, the nail continues to hold tight. The tip is beveled so that it will come out of the foot. The nail is designed so that the horseshoer can aim the nail to come out where he wants. The shoer will start the nail at the same angle as the hoof wall, and if you were watching, you will notice that he starts out tapping the nail, doing that he's aiming where he wants it to come out of the hoof wall, so it usually goes, tap, tap, tap, tap, whap, the nail is driven in and comes out of the hoof wall, and eventually all four nails come out at the same height and in a neat straight row. So you can't really date horse shoes by the nails, nor by shape, nor style, because a horses foot hasn't changed in hundreds of years. Hand made shoes are still made today exactly the same way they were, dating is pretty much a scientific wild guess. If there is other datable stuff found with the shoe, that's probably the best, most accurate way to date it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rsmith44

Greenie
Mar 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome those 2 posts were very helpful! thank you for the input! Yeah i guess ill have to go with the 1800s coin i found 2 feet from the horseshoe. All i really have to go on at this point! Like you said, guess there really is no way to accurately date a horseshoe!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread