how to dump pennies

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
well Ive got a coin counter in my home town bank which is good and i was just wondering when people have a ton of coins what is the best way to do it. i was thinking of dumping 25$ dollars in pennies each day of the week and going back out at the end of the week and picking up another 8 boxes from different banks. there is also one b*****y teller there that doesn't like anyone. what would i say when she asks my why she has to unload the 5 bags of pennies? lol. what i have noticed which i did not think would be the case at first was that most tellers are women and younger which makes them normally nice. when they ask why the heck i want 25-50 dollars in pennies i just say I'm looking for older coins and they have no problem at all. any thoughts? plus what are peoples averages for boxes of pennies. i seam to get 20+- Wheaties per box.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
oh ya and i hate when i get a full box of brand new pennies. makes me mad. and today when i dumped 100$ worth of change i felt so bad because there were three tellers and it was an hour from closing and they had already put the machines down, or counted everything or something so finally they said i could use it and for god sakes it broke probably 20 times and it took like 45 minutes to finally get it fixed and i felt so bad, but it was kind of funny, poor tellers thought they were done for the day entill i came in :)

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Dumping is all about the dumpers perspective and such.

For example... I feel that the changing of bags from the coin machine in their JOB... why should I feel bad for making someone do somethign in their job description a bit more often than they would if I didn't dump all these coins?

I've made a young weak looking female teller change out a $500 (obviously heavy) half dollar bag three times within like 10 minutes.

I'm not going to feel bad about it, and I'm not going to care when people comment (which they have) about why I dump so much coin.

Now, I'm never mean about it or anything. I am as nice as can be, and even offer to help them move bags and load them onto the trolley thing they use when moving multiple bags at once (though they almost NEVER let me help). I've also given them stuff every once in a while. Last time it was a walker for each of the two girls who helped me that day with the machine. You can tell that once in a while if they are having a bad day that they aren't extra happy about helping with the coin machine, but no one has ever been outright mean or anything about it... and my relationships with the tellers who do help me with the coin machines are all very nice and friendly. For example, the first time I went back my main dump bank after coming home from being at college for like 5 months, the SECOND I walked through the door, one of the tellers was like "where have you been! oh that's right... at school. we missed you!".

Be nice to them and expect the same back, and if they are mean about it... don't shy away... call them out on it, ask to speak to the head teller, etc.

~Dave

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
My local bank with the coin counter is wonderful. I dump sometimes $100 of pennies at a time. They have even changed the configuration of the machine to have 4 bags for pennies, so that it doesn't fill up as often. Then, even when i only fill the halves bag they change out all the full penny bags at that time. They do it with a smile, we tlak about htings as they do it, and they are great.

It takes me literally no more than 2 minutes to dump $50 of pennies. About 4 minutes to dump $100 worth. Unless I fill the last bag or the halves bag and they need ot change it. then it takes another 5 - 10 minutes as they do their thing. But dumping is fast at this machine.

It's the best part of my CRH. I have a great dump bank.

My wheat ratio is about 7 wheats per box. So if you are getting 20 per box you are doing GREAT. (I bet yoiu re back est somewhere, or maybe the midwest. It seems that CRH is better the further east you go. I am in AZ)

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have had 1 experience with a teller. it acts like it just kills him to have to come over and change a bag in the coin counter. he has not said anything yet, but he always gives me those "oh it's you again" looks. one day i dumped 4000.00 dollars on him at one time. i had 2000.00 in halves in 2 different bags. he had to change out the bags 3 times while i dumped the first bag and after i cashed the first 2000.00 in i told him i had another bag in the car. boy did that seem to get his goat, but he never said anything. everyone elso at my 2 dump banks have always been nice and eager to help anyway they can

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
The first thing you need to realize about CRHing is that you are not the normal customer at the bank. You ARE going to get looked at funny when buying $100 worth of pennies or $1,000 worth of halves. You ARE going to look funning walking into to bank with 250 LBS of loose coins. It IS part of the game. You also have to realize that there IS going to be tellers that hate thier job and hate dealing with us, all you can do is SMILE, and say HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! My dump bank is A NBT bank. I go there on average twice a day with atleast $600 in pennies, nickels, and dimes. The tellers are awesome they smile, we talk about everything and they always treat me like a great customer. They know excalty what I do, They often ask me how my finds are, and actually love it when I bring in some of my different finds for them to see. I also put together a nice set of the westward journey nickel sets in a nice whitman snap-tite case they were thrilled. The total cost was about $6 for the four teller, but that $6 was greatly appreciated. My source bank is another great bank. This week alone I picked up 30 boxes of pennies and they never batted an eye at my request. On thursday they did say they were running low on pennies and asked if I could wait till monday to get more pennies. I had no problem with that at all. Usually if you treat the teller with respect and be nice even to the mean ones they will change there attitude sooner or later, if not DUMP LIKE HELL ON THEM. I guess to sum this up is just plan on being different, if you can't handle that you will not enjoy this great hobby...

Happy Hunting,
Jason

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got 2 boxes today. I unwrap each one and what I take out, I put back with some zincolns. Then I put them back in the box and back to the bank on Monday. I'm sure others have their own method.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this weekend I dumped about $600 in pennies...now I dump at self serve machines that have a large bin and no bags and actually ended up at 2 banks to cash in just because I was giong to be driving by the second one anyway and I decided to split it into two parts. $200 at one and $400 at the other. The $400 in pennies didn't even fill the bin once...

no tellers doing a lot of lifting they just look at the receipt and give me the cash unless of course the bin fills up.....even then its not heavy lifting, just pushing and pulling.

I usually try to limit my dumps to two bags (what I can carry in one trip from the car) where a bag is
$100 in pennies
$400 in nickels
$1000 in dimes/quarters/halves

or sometimes a mix of denominations like $50 in pennies and $200 in nickels

I now have a number of the oversized canvas bags where these amounts are barely even causing the bag to be half full....and I have put more in a bag before, but at some piont they just get so heavy as to be almost unmanageable...so the above amounts are usually my limits.

I also try to spread my dumps around a bit (usually at most one stop per branch per month and usually longer between). Helps to have a fairly long commute through that takes me within a mile or two of over a dozen branches of my dump bank with at least a dozen more not much further than that to be able to do that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i have had 1 experience with a teller.....he always gives me those "oh it's you again" looks....boy did that seem to get his goat...
Silver, is he is your jurisdiction? I am sure you can find out what he drives. Does it pass inspection? If not, "let him know," but first, let him sweat a bit while you check a few things ;D

If he doesn't recognise you, remind him and thank him for his helpful service ::) at the bank. Be his buddy and send him on his way. You now will have a very helpful teller. :thumbsup:

cyberdan (former deputy in a much younger life)

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
What GMan said.

cyberdan said:
silvercop said:
i have had 1 experience with a teller.....he always gives me those "oh it's you again" looks....boy did that seem to get his goat...
Silver, is he is your jurisdiction? I am sure you can find out what he drives. Does it pass inspection? If not, "let him know," but first, let him sweat a bit while you check a few things ;D

If he doesn't recognise you, remind him and thank him for his helpful service ::) at the bank. Be his buddy and send him on his way. You now will have a very helpful teller. :thumbsup:

cyberdan (former deputy in a much younger life)

That is funny, Dan!
I thought you coppers weren't supposed to "abuse" your authority- but - if the glove fits.... ;D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
I thought you coppers weren't supposed to "abuse" your authority- but - if the glove fits
don't call me a copper. ;D cause I just sold 800 pounds of them and don't have any more >:(

silver dude sounds pretty good ;D

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
thats funny dan. while i might entertain agitating him a bit inside the bank i would never do it on the roadside. just can't do that anymore....everything is recorded audio and video. heck if someone files a complaint on you, oh you have to spend half the day meeting with supervisors, reviewing tapes, and writing statements. it just aint worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread