How to extend the life of any pinpointer.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first modification I made to my pinpointer was after the second time I slipped on a steep grade dropped it out of my pouch and found myself out in the woods looking for what I dropped instead of what someone else dropped. I found some spray paint made especially for plastics and a black paint pin from a crafts store and inverted the factory yellow letters over black to a much easier to find black letter over yellow, and topped it with clear coat. Don't forget to tape off any where you don't want to paint.

After quite a bit of use I'm very satisfied with the results, because I haven't lost it and it's still yellow. All except the end where I am repeatedly dragging it along the rocky soil. But I noticed that it's not only the paint that's disappearing, the plastic itself is basically grinding away from use.

I got online and was reading about some people using a spray on plasticised coating, but having used the same products for other uses I know a peel off coating won't last long at all. Keeping in mind I may well be voiding my warranty, I got some clear 5 minute epoxy and used it to rebuild the end of my pinpointer and protect the paint longer than clear coat alone. Sure you can find special made covers but I personally like a good DIY project.
wornpointer.jpg
renewedpointer.jpg

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You can save yourself a lot of work by just buying a bright orange pinpointed ......... DSCN0820.JPG ...... DSCN0824.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true if you are looking to buy a pinpointer or if money is no object, but if you already have one that works fine like me, this is a much cheaper solution than a whole new pinpointer.

Total cost of paint and epoxy: under $15

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to Lowes, buy a pack of chair leg caps for a couple bucks, profit.

038902074690lg.jpg

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could also buy a pinpointer cover for about $9. They slide over the end and are very durable. Last longer than your epoxy, I'd suspect. I get mine from e-bay, and it's bright yellow, too. :)

And... since I have multiple pinpointeres, when I want to switch from using the Pro Pointer to the Garrett Pro, because it's the same design, I just slide it off the one and onto the other...

I have been using two of these on minefor a couple years............they are awesome!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so much for trying

Yehuwdiy

Jan 6, 2016
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Nugget Snoop Pro, Garret Euroace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DIY for the win. Love your solution - some people just don't understand what tinkerin' is about ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread