How to find a campsite???

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I am doing research on camp sites and battle sites in my area.
I have the description of a campsite from accounts from both sides. From the distance I know I am in the right area. The are however is large and there are several places a camp could be. The lay of the land is a high ridge(15 foot elevation above the rest) surrounded by low lands to the south and to west side. The ridge points towards the southwest at a sharp high point. There is a swampy lake to the southeast and a bay to the northwest. To the west just below the hill is a spur that comes off of the bay. To the south side and to the west side of the ridge there are OLD houses. No doubt that some of these houses were here back then. On the ridge leading to the northeast there is an old road. The whole ridge is no all farm land for as far as you can see. The bottom lands have tracts of timber and cane swamps.

At first I thought only a portion of the less than one thousand troops were Cavalry. I just found records that they were all Cavalry. They could still fit on this ground with no problem at all. There is lots of water for the horses and a gradually incline to take them down to the spur of the bay.

My question is were the horses and the men normally right beside each other? How far out would I need to look for relics? How much land does just shy of 1000 Calvary cover when camped out? There certain areas such as where old house places were that are really hot with iron and other metals. I have dug alot of the "other" metals and they all turn out to be junk.
How do you search a potential camp site where lots of other have been since the Cavalry camped here?
Any help is appreciated.
Thnaks!

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If there are any springs in the area look there first or around the creeks. Also around the house places look for "dug" wells that would be another good place to look. The men and horse would be close together. Is this gonna be an overnight camp or were they there for several days? Probably where the houses are/were is gonna be the best place to look in the begining. Also do you have any old maps that would show where the roads were at that time? They probably wont be far off the road...d2

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
For the most part, camps were "tight".

Attachments

• DSCF1676.JPG
    DSCF1676.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF1678.JPG
    DSCF1678.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 583

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
Look for a local library that could give you old maps and photos, these will help narrow your search a bit. The cavalry was a different breed of soldier. Thier horses were their life so they were always kept close by in case of any sudden troop movments or emergencies. Also find whether this camp was Union or Confederate and if they were there long. If it was a Federal encampment they would most likely have had suttlers and such folowing them around and encamping on the outskirts of the main camp. Since you say it was cavalry, they would most likely have taken supplies from the citizens of the town. Do some local history research at the library like I said before, they should tell you if the the officers were staying with any of the local residents. They would have camped close together with pickets surrounding the area. Closer to the town is your best bet. Hope I could have been some help and good luck and happy hunting.

JChambers

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
This is going to be a CSA camp.

I actually thought I was in the right area until late last night but now I am pretty sure I am not on the right landmark. I obtained a map that shows the name of the place to be on a different landmark and it matches the reports, but not 100%. Still it's close enough for statements that were taken several years later. Looking at Terraserver and TopoZone(Since I can't Google Earth, because I am on dial-up) the place would make more sense to me.
I have some info and accounts coming that might help.

I have also found talk of a U.S. camp in another location that should be easy to find since there aren't many places that could support a camp on this landmark.

Thanks for all of the help! Anymore input is surely welcomed.

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Well I have good news and bad news.
Good news is I found a camp site. I went to the only logical place it could be and there was a levee there. The landowner came out and we were talking. He said they found all sorts of stuff while making the levee. It was apperently a CSA and U.S. camp site since they found lots of stuff from both forces. He said that a guy searched the rest of the place over and found a bit of stuff after the levee was built but it dwindled out close to ten years ago. He said the guy hasn't found anything in 10 years but still comes over to hunt the place.
He was telling me about another large camp site that had been destroyed in the other area that I am looking. Apperently the place had been pulled down to fill up some swamp area. Might be the same place I am looking for, but I hope not.

About a month ago I was hunting for a couple of battle sites and found that both have been displaced to laser-leveling. Discouraging to say the least.

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
1320 said:
"....hasn't found anything in 10 years but still comes over to hunt the place". Hmmmm, think I'd give it a shot!

Maybe I shouldn't have said a guy... maybe I should have said the landowner's kin. He still comes over to hunt the place, but he mainly comes to visit. The guy made a large haul from there. The land out by the levee gets turned over before it's planted and after harvest. The guy still has dreams. I could hunt the place if I wanted to, but I have my own dreams and it's not hunting a place that has been hit that hard. ;)

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Hi,

I would hunt the place anyhow. I live in Williamsburg and our can bet 9 out of 10 places have been hunted to death. So far in 2007 I have found over 100 mini's and a ton of good relics. Todays equipment will beat out anything 10 years past. I know people say most items are only 6 inches or less but from my experience much is still deeper. I pulled that Eagle plate in a well hunted area. I even go over places that I thought I cleared out only to find new things. And don't ever listen to people that tell you such things. I have found that some people are just trying to discourage you from digging in certain places. Hope this makes sense. Happy Easter.

Ronin9868

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said Ronin. I keep finding relics in areas that I know I hunted out. Give it a go anyway.
Mike

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Agreed... if you have permission, then get out there and see what's up!

I'm still pulling stuff from one of my sites that has been pounded for 40 years and it never gets turned or farmed...

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
CSA camps are usually pretty spartan to begin with. They didn't have the luxury to lose to much, because it wouldn't be replaced. That's why you find more flat and flower buttons in CS camps than military issue, they used what they could. I would go and hit that place for sure if you can. You can never find it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread