How to find better stuff w/ the X-Terra 70

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
BY DIGGER @ FINDMALL

Discussion of lower end tid numbers that you might think could be TRASH

To get a better idea of what you might be passing over as trash, let’s check out the conductive properties of various items we might scan over while detecting. Again, these numbers are based on the X-Terra 70 TID, using the parameters of Pattern 2. Remember, as I mentioned above, TID numbers are not cast in stone.

If you are passing over targets represented by the X-Terra 70 TID of 2, 4 and 6, you risk missing rose gold rings, platinum rings, white gold rings and some foreign coins.

If you are passing over targets represented with a TID of 6, 8 and 10, you risk missing more white gold rings, more platinum rings, thin yellow gold rings, lead and brass shells and the US nickel 3-cent piece.

If you set your detector to reject TID numbers 10, 12, 14 and 16, you will risk missing very thin silver coins, the $1.00 US Gold coin, thin yellow gold rings, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, 40% silver “War” nickels, many wedding bands, 10kt class rings, tokens and more foreign coins.

If you set your notches to reject TID Numbers 16, 18 and 20, you will risk missing gold rings, tokens, various gold jewelry, 14kt rings, brass, the US $2.50 Gold piece, Indian Head cents, Flying Eagle cents, more foreign coins and even large 10kt class rings.

If you rejected notch segments 20, 22, 24 and 26, you risk missing more Indian Head pennies, the US silver 3-cent piece, the US $5 Gold piece, large gold rings, small silver pieces, gold jewelry and medallion’s, and still more old tokens.

So there you have it. A list of some items that you are passing over in an attempt to not dig foil, pull tabs and other "trash" items. I realize that each of us has our own preferences for setting the discrimination on our detectors. I suppose you could say we are all creatures of habit. But the next time you hit that old park or picnic ground, you might want to ask yourself if you’re rejecting notch segments that might include targets that you wouldn’t mind digging. HH Randy

LOWER END TID NUMBERS:

TID of 2, 4 and 6......rose gold rings, platinum rings, white gold rings and some foreign coins.

TID of 6, 8 and 10....white gold rings, more platinum rings, thin yellow gold rings, lead and brass shells and the US nickel 3-cent piece.

TID numbers 10, 12, 14 and 16...very thin silver coins, the $1.00 US Gold coin, thin yellow gold rings, Shield nickels, Liberty V nickels, 40% silver “War” nickels, many wedding bands, 10kt class rings, tokens and more foreign coins.

TID Numbers 16, 18 and 20...gold rings, tokens, various gold jewelry, 14kt rings, brass, the US $2.50 Gold piece, Indian Head cents, Flying Eagle cents, more foreign coins and even large 10kt class rings

TID Numbers 20, 22, 24 and 26...Indian Head pennies, the US silver 3-cent piece, the US $5 Gold piece, large gold rings, small silver pieces, gold jewelry and medallion’s, and still more old tokens

PLEASE NOTE: TID Numbers of -8 & +48 could be Lg. Iron Trash Objects so what i have gone to doing when i set-up my Xterra 70 is i run PATTENS 1 and check to make shure that all the TID Numbers below #2 are notched out plus #48 is notched out

Dave

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Once you recover a gold ring that registered as trash you'll become closer to a "beep dig" hunter. If it beeps and I determine it's coin sized I dig it up.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well what pattern are we talking about here...all metal??? or pattern one? :icon_scratch:

ok so I reread it, pattern one, I should be ok..correct?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth... find better sites and forget playing detector bingo. :D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

you lost me on that one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
Iron Patch said:

you lost me on that one.

In other words... To make better finds research better sites and forget about detector programs and numbers and just dig!

Plugger#1

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2008
I bought the 70 with the standard coil, plus the 18.5 khz DD. If I run these patterns with the DD will it be more effective all around or more specifically for gold?

mach2

Greenie
Aug 12, 2008
Roselawn Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
Excellent post Dave!...Digger is very knowledgeable with the xt70 and as you stated Findmall is a very informative forum.

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I agree with Iron Dig , The sites I have gone too are out of the way , with a modern shell casing , bullet , camper/hunter trash "here and there" ,every other object I dig is from around the revolutionary war /french Indian war , and Indian relics " and the junk from that period are keepers" throw it up on eBay and get a few Buck's 8) , Forget modern parks and go into the sticks :icon_pirat: " you would be pleasantly surprised at the sites you can find using google Earth , With modern technology at your finger tips No site is hunted out :thumbsup: , having said this being in good physical shape is a Big Plus , schlepping gear on mile hikes is a huge and physically demanding task

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
LoL!!!
I just drink a few and go and have some fun, it will all come good in the long run. :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Cr4zyH0rs3 said:
LoL!!!
I just drink a few and go and have some fun, it will all come good in the long run. :thumbsup:

I did this when I first got my ACE 250 and the finds were coming along when I least expected it.

I think one of the best things you can do is practice your digging technique. Get fast at pinpointing a target (even without the pinpoint feature), and then digging and retrieving that target with precision. The more we dig, statistically the more treasure keepers we will find.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jbow said:
Does the Exterra "pop" on trash like some other detectors? The E-TRAC pops at the end of the signal on a lot of trash targets.

Julien

Some irregularly shaped trash items will tend to hit across neighboring TID segments so in the multi tone modes will give a broken "2 tone" type response. otherwise you have just a single tone that give little audio info as to if its trash or not. the exterras audio does not have much language to it and sounds just a bit to digital for my taste. ML in developing the exterras keyed the segments in software toward US type coins to help them "lock" better thus the broken sounds on some odd shaped items.

Since I'm a beep dig hunter I preferred 2 tone mode over the multi tone choices to eliminate those broken responses on some target types.

ML's method definitely works for coins ect. but, its a godsend that they also included the tone choices.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread