Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I was recently asked by a Tnet member to share a little bit about how I find Civil War campsites. I sent him a lengthy PM which I saved and have formulated into this post. I won't reveal all my tricks of the trade, but I will share some of them.

Happy reading,

Buckleboy

In terms of finding Civil War campsites, I can't tell you what to do in terms of research, but I'll tell you what I do to find sites.

1. Research a Captain/General/etc. that had troops in your area. Read as many books as you can about him and his campaigns. If there are any books about the Civil War in your area, you should have already read those. Now...how to read them... When I read any book like this, it always takes me twice as long, because I take tons of notes. Now most books like this will not have much information about campsites, but you'll learn information about what they were doing in your area, and what they were there to guard or destroy.

2. Get a copy of the Official Records of the Civil War on CDRom. OR, go to Cornell University's website at the following link. They have a searchable database there:

http://0-cdl.library.cornell.edu.source.unco.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

Search the name of any and all leaders of troops in your area. (The list will be long!) Then look at the correspondence during the time those troops were in your area. You'll get some leads this way, big time. Make sure you write ALL information down, including the date of the letter, and who it was to. (It can be hard to find the document again in the OR's. They are volumes and volumes long in printed format!) Frequently some description of campsite location will be listed. (These are often vague.) Choose one that you feel that you have good odds of finding based on the description. (You'll have many, many chances to prove your worth with more vague and challenging campsite references in the OR's, so cut yourself a break to start out with. Besides, if someone has "beaten you to the punch" on the campsite you choose, the property owner will generally know. Make sure you ask them when you get permission if it has been detected before--not that that fact should really scare you off at all...) ;)

3. Read any soldiers' diaries in special library collections/private collections/publications from troops in the particular unit you are researching. Only after you have assembled ALL of the information you can get your hands on about a particular campsite should you actually go to vicinity you believe it to be. I can tell you from experience that it takes many hours of research, plus many more hours spent in the field with a detector to find a virgin campsite.

4. When you go out to the field, take all your notes. Read them again before you arrive on the site. When you get there, pay special attention to the features mentioned. Pay attention to whether the roads that are mentioned have been changed/improved/widened. Look for knolls or valleys mentioned in the diaries/OR's. Distinguishing geographic features are usually mentioned in soldiers' accounts. Survey the area by car (or perhaps by foot, if you have permission already), and make a list of the top three fields/valleys/spots where you think the campsite could have been. Pay close attention to creeks! There was always a water source close by--a spring, creek or river. Water was used to fill canteens, wash clothes, soothe aching feet. It was indispensable. Start from the water source and work outward toward the spot you think the camp might have been. Spend at least four solid hours detecting in each spot before you mark it off your list. Also, remember that if you are finding fired bullets, this is not the sign of a camp. You need to be finding dropped ones, not fired ones. If you're finding "pulled" or "wormed out" bullets, you're probably close to the camp (they unloaded their guns before setting up camp). If you're finding .69 caliber ammo and few other items, you've probably found a picket post on the outskirts of the camp. Close, but no cookie. Only when you're finding buttons, dropped .58 cal bullets, campfire lead, and other items are you truly on the campsite.

Here's an important tip: In every crate of ammunition or supplies opened in a Civil War campsite, there were dozens of NAILS. In other words, the nails will outnumber the bullets significantly in a campsite. If you hunt on higher discrimination (not hearing the iron signals), you could walk right through a campsite and not happen on a lead relic, leading you to believe (incorrectly!!!) that the camp wasn't there. MAKE SURE you hunt in all metal mode until you start getting lots of iron readings. Then bump up your discrimination some and work that area relentlessly. This method also works for finding old house sites where there is no trace of the structure left.

What to do if you get skunked in the first three areas where you thought the campsite was? Choose two more. If you get skunked on these two, you should keep your research and the information about where the site ISN'T, and move on to researching another site. Five possibilities on your list, times four hours per site of hardcore detecting equals 20 hours of fieldwork alone. I haven't found every campsite that I've tried to, but I have found a good many of them.

I hope this helps,

Buckleboy

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I just hope that the day will come when I can but this valueable information to good use. This just shows why so many camps have never been found because the work and time one has to devote to finding them is a priceless commodity nowadays.

Have just started trying to research a little but it looks like I will have to re borrow the books and start over. ;D ;D

Thanks Jimmy

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I will give it a try. I have a lot of books about the civil war and have a collection of time life books about it also. One has a good map of perryville. I have a week off from work before I start my new job. I will now have more time between college and work to do some reading. Thanks again.

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Many thanks BB for that great dissertation. I'm not a CW relic dood yet, but definitely want to give it a shot sometime. I'm slowly compiling info on my area and hope to put it to use. Your efforts are appreciated.

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Thanks Will!

With all that good information I think I can go out now and find a campsite! ;D

Keep up the good work and we won't have to worry about finding too many of them... you'll have every swinger in Kaintucky rousting out all those camps that have not been found yet. ;)

DC

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnOldPro said:
Thanks Will!

Keep up the good work and we won't have to worry about finding too many of them... you'll have every swinger in Kaintucky rousting out all those camps that have not been found yet. ;)

DC

DC,

I wouldn't have posted this if I was worried about other folks finding camps. I hope they do! Finding a camp is a lesson in the power of research. I have more CW sites than I could ever get around to working out in my lifetime. Time to share the wealth.

Regards,

Buckleboy

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Awesome! I ahve been reading a civil war book qritten about the confederate defenses around Savannah and also I am mapping out the route per a soldiers diary I am reading. You have given me more tools to use to locate more relics.

I found an interesting spot in this soldiers diary (a union guarded bridge for two weeks) but I am at a dead end at the moment on locating the spot. That is until I read your post. Now I will search that database and see if I can find another piece of the puzzle that mentions this.

Thanks a lot BB!!!!! I really appreciate it, and if you ever get down to Savannah, give me a holler!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing, Mike! Good luck, and let us know when you hit the good stuff.

Regards,

Buckleboy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man ,I can't find a CW camp anywhere here in North Dakota.LOL

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry birdman...I guess I should have specified the areas of the U.S. for which my instructions would work... ;)

Some of this information works for old house sites though!

Regards,

Buckleboy

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnOldPro said:
Thanks Will!

DC

WE TAWD ED

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Hello All,

I was recently asked by a Tnet member to share a little bit about how I find Civil War campsites. I sent him a lengthy PM which I saved and have formulated into this post. I won't reveal all my tricks of the trade, but I will share some of them.

Happy reading,

Buckleboy

In terms of finding Civil War campsites, I can't tell you what to do in terms of research, but I'll tell you what I do to find sites.

1. Research a Captain/General/etc. that had troops in your area. Read as many books as you can about him and his campaigns. If there are any books about the Civil War in your area, you should have already read those. Now...how to read them... When I read any book like this, it always takes me twice as long, because I take tons of notes. Now most books like this will not have much information about campsites, but you'll learn information about what they were doing in your area, and what they were there to guard or destroy.

2. Get a copy of the Official Records of the Civil War on CDRom. OR, go to Cornell University's website at the following link. They have a searchable database there:

http://0-cdl.library.cornell.edu.source.unco.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

Search the name of any and all leaders of troops in your area. (The list will be long!) Then look at the correspondence during the time those troops were in your area. You'll get some leads this way, big time. Make sure you write ALL information down, including the date of the letter, and who it was to. (It can be hard to find the document again in the OR's. They are volumes and volumes long in printed format!) Frequently some description of campsite location will be listed. (These are often vague.) Choose one that you feel that you have good odds of finding based on the description. (You'll have many, many chances to prove your worth with more vague and challenging campsite references in the OR's, so cut yourself a break to start out with. Besides, if someone has "beaten you to the punch" on the campsite you choose, the property owner will generally know. Make sure you ask them when you get permission if it has been detected before--not that that fact should really scare you off at all...) ;)

3. Read any soldiers' diaries in special library collections/private collections/publications from troops in the particular unit you are researching. Only after you have assembled ALL of the information you can get your hands on about a particular campsite should you actually go to vicinity you believe it to be. I can tell you from experience that it takes many hours of research, plus many more hours spent in the field with a detector to find a virgin campsite.

4. When you go out to the field, take all your notes. Read them again before you arrive on the site. When you get there, pay special attention to the features mentioned. Pay attention to whether the roads that are mentioned have been changed/improved/widened. Look for knolls or valleys mentioned in the diaries/OR's. Distinguishing geographic features are usually mentioned in soldiers' accounts. Survey the area by car (or perhaps by foot, if you have permission already), and make a list of the top three fields/valleys/spots where you think the campsite could have been. Pay close attention to creeks! There was always a water source close by--a spring, creek or river. Water was used to fill canteens, wash clothes, soothe aching feet. It was indispensable. Start from the water source and work outward toward the spot you think the camp might have been. Spend at least four solid hours detecting in each spot before you mark it off your list. Also, remember that if you are finding fired bullets, this is not the sign of a camp. You need to be finding dropped ones, not fired ones. If you're finding "pulled" or "wormed out" bullets, you're probably close to the camp (they unloaded their guns before setting up camp). If you're finding .69 caliber ammo and few other items, you've probably found a picket post on the outskirts of the camp. Close, but no cookie. Only when you're finding buttons, dropped .58 cal bullets, campfire lead, and other items are you truly on the campsite.

Here's an important tip: In every crate of ammunition or supplies opened in a Civil War campsite, there were dozens of NAILS. In other words, the nails will outnumber the bullets significantly in a campsite. If you hunt on higher discrimination (not hearing the iron signals), you could walk right through a campsite and not happen on a lead relic, leading you to believe (incorrectly!!!) that the camp wasn't there. MAKE SURE you hunt in all metal mode until you start getting lots of iron readings. Then bump up your discrimination some and work that area relentlessly. This method also works for finding old house sites where there is no trace of the structure left.

What to do if you get skunked in the first three areas where you thought the campsite was? Choose two more. If you get skunked on these two, you should keep your research and the information about where the site ISN'T, and move on to researching another site. Five possibilities on your list, times four hours per site of hardcore detecting equals 20 hours of fieldwork alone. I haven't found every campsite that I've tried to, but I have found a good many of them.

I hope this helps,

Buckleboy
the same holds true for looking for a house in a corn/bean/wheat feild thats long gone

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDEKALB said:
the same holds true for looking for a house in a corn/bean/wheat feild thats long gone

Yes it does. That's how we do it. (Then once we've got iron targets in sufficient numbers, we pay extra close attention to the types of items we're digging, as well as what sorts of non-metallic stuff we see in the holes.) Gotta make sure it was a house site and not a BARN site LOL. So pottery, canning jar lids, old brick, etc. are all welcome finds. They're the prelude to the coins :o

Regards,

Buckleboy

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
pencil sharpeners and erasers are good signs of schools ;D

you can find almost anything at toll houses and taverns but not necessarily coins and bottles ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread