How to find more Banner finds

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya mine was published in the Best Finds of 2017 issue of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine

Congrats, it's amazing it never made banner, I think you definitely deserved it! I entered my sundial in the Best Finds of 2015 issue, but it never made it, they did ask me to write an article about it though (which I ended up doing). I entered my Stamp Act button for Best Finds of 2018, and am hoping I finally make it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this is a good thread to express my gratitude for being honored with 2 Banners....
My first, a few years ago, I thought that I might have a chance..... still my best coin find ever.
More recently, I didn’t expect to get the recognition.... but Oddjob, and several other guys nominated me.
This hobby provides for countless hours of digging clad and trash, but every once in a while..... ya never know unless you dig it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a 'banner find' is just something that has a uniqueness to it. When I found the old 1930's gumball machine buried underground full of silver war nickles, the nickles themselves only had a combined value of around $5 but people still voted the find to the banner for some reason. I think that reason was because the find embodied the quintessential 'buried treasure'. It didn't matter that the coins themselves were relatively worthless, the find represented a real treasure chest that embodied a feeling that all treasure hunters wish to experience one day - and seeing the box opened for the first time in 70 years made people's imaginations come to life. Like finding an old gun or a gold coin from some well established time in history makes people's imaginations flare and allows them to 'connect' to that distant past time, this is what makes a banner find. For example, a gold coin found in a coin star return slot will probably not make it to banner, but a gold coin found under the dirt of a long abandoned gold-mining town in the old west probably will make banner - because the latter makes a connection to a known past event and can even be traced to individual people (who may have census records as living in that town at the same time as the coin), the gold coin in the change return slot at the coin star does not evoke this same kind of feeling of wonder or strong connection to the past. Just my thoughts on the matter. :thumbsup:

Never thought of a Gold coin being found in a Coin Star. Recently I read about a Gold Coin being found in a Salvation Army Christmas Kettle. Yep, that will cause someone to Exclaim; Boy what a generous gift and I wonder who donated it. But to dig a gold coin , now that's a banner that leaves you with a story and a mystery full of history. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATW..... we got a guy here in Ft. Myers every year for the past dozen or so years drops a gold coin in the kettle.
Always with a note attached “in memory if Mimi”
Nobody knows who it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread