How to find who claims certain ships

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hello everyone,

can anyone tell me where I can find who has claim to a certain sunken vessel, and if o how to purchase it from them or if no claim has been made, how I can file a claim?

Thank you so much and happy hunting!!

~Joseph
Joseph, A good start would be to put a name to the shipwreck that you are looking for and an approximate location of the shipwreck.

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
The ship is sunk off of new York, not sure exactly where, but I would like to pinpoint it and find the exact name. But I don't want to waste money in research and salvaging if someone else already has a claim to it. My question is how can you find that out??

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First you have to have a name, without a name you can never find who has rites to it. If modern it was insured and a deal would have to made with the insurance company. I had an arrangement with the rites to the Harold for just 10% to the carrier. But if an arrangement is not in place before hand they can deny you anything. If the ship has a cargo of substantial value than you need to go this route if not I don't believe anyone other the DEP would care.

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the info... I'm trying to find the name to it, but once I find the name then it should be easy to find the insurance company?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The ship is sunk off of new York, not sure exactly where, but I would like to pinpoint it and find the exact name. But I don't want to waste money in research and salvaging if someone else already has a claim to it. My question is how can you find that out??
Joseph, I only have one question. Did you ever dive on this wreck and find anything of value???
If not, I have a hard time believing that you are serious about this wreck. You didn't do any research, you don't know the name of the wreck or the year that it sunk, but most importantly. You have no idea what cargo the wreck carried.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Was thinking the same Ed. Doesn't add up.

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Ship went down 1780's off of new York she was returning to Spain but didn't make it, tried to sail into a port but she went down somewhere off if NY, I would like to find it and dive it, but I don't want to break any laws,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions