How to get any Map into iPhone, iPad, Android or Garmin

hpridal

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and as old maps are my big hobby, I can share some experience I have with processing them and further usage. I saw here that some of you are in the research of historical maps and sometimes it is useful to have the map with and see your own position on the top of it. Using this way to take the maps of locations with poor coverage from navigations etc as I travel just with my iPhone. The big advantage is you need no internet connection to view the map.

First thing is that you need is to prepare your map to be able to display it. There is a nice app for this called MapTiler, which you can use to create and overlay over Google Maps or Google Earth. Then, you can display it on the website or upload to the phone or GPS. What I love is the way how you add the position of the map, just by clicking on the same points on both maps, check this video to see how it goes:

If you need to take the map with you, there is an App for iPhone or Android which costs around $1 or some funny price like that. You will also need a dropbox account, which is free. Then, just follow the tutorials which you can find at: Category Mobile ? MapTiler. The iPhone app is tested and works great.

It is also possible to import maps to Garmin GPS, but I am not using this device to review.

Hope it helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread