Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried them and they didn't work.

It's crazy but shortly after posting this I discovered the answer. I've been searching the net for an answer for over a year. The Babylon Search Bar malware is the biggest pain in the butt online today. Check online and find loads of threads about it.

The story goes that the software was developed by an Israeli firm and at first Microsoft treated it as malware. Somehow a deal was cut and now it usually takes a technician to get rid of it and most likely it will return. It's secretly loaded in "freeware" and "shareware" and one can get it many other ways. It places a stinking toolbar on your browser and will even change the search from Google to Babylon (among many other rotten things).

Thanks Microsoft for the shaft!

Anyway, if someone here has it and they use Firefox (the best browser), here's how to get rid of it (for a time anyway).

1. Go to Help
2. Click on Troubleshooting Information
3. Click on Reset Foxfire
When it reloads, Babylon will be gone (for awhile anyway).

Make sure you uninstall it and all that other stuff first. But those things will not get it out of your browser, this will.

Happy hunting!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you confortable with your registry? I can help you get rid of it, but it will be a lot easier if you know your way around a computer at least a little more than a little :)

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
before anything do this... It's simple.

once you made sure that it's gone from the add/remove programs go into firefox and click on tools and look for add-ons. See if the Bbylon Toolbar is still in there. If it is, there should be an uninstall button under Babylon. Click on uninstall and follow the prompts. The uninstall should complete itself once you relaunch firefox.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
before anything do this... It's simple.

once you made sure that it's gone from the add/remove programs go into firefox and click on tools and look for add-ons. See if the Bbylon Toolbar is still in there. If it is, there should be an uninstall button under Babylon. Click on uninstall and follow the prompts. The uninstall should complete itself once you relaunch firefox.

Yes, I did all that long ago but the toolbar holds in there. The Babylon toolbar (at the left) is the bad boy.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you confortable with your registry? I can help you get rid of it, but it will be a lot easier if you know your way around a computer at least a little more than a little :)

I know the registry would be the source of this nightmare. I may get to that yet but for now I'll see how the simple reset function holds up.

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the program called Hitman pro, it is free for the first 30 days....... It removed several really bad hijacker programs......

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And yes Babylon is a nasty one. It makes so many entries in the registry it's sickening. To be honest the best thing to do is reload windows, but if you remove all the entries you should be ok.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions