How to get started??

badboy

Jun 28, 2006
pa
Hi to all. I'm usually on the metal detecting forum but stumbled on this forum and find it very interesting. Is there a way to get started into this hobby?? Maybe keep your eyes on the ground more?? I live in Indian territory, town is called Tamanend. I search it and it is said that a Indian chief was hung here and all the land taken. I would love to find just one arrow head. Thanks for listening, Pete

Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Pete,

Welcome to our little neck of the woods. Its warm and welcoming here most of the time....lol

Getting started isn't too hard at all. Ask, look and listen. Ask people about relics, normally there are people around you close that have the fever and many are willing to share knowledge. If you have a local library, go in and ask them if anyone around is an Indian relic nut....normally they have a good grasp of patrons and can steer you in the right direction.

Apart from that, you need to find areas of turned earth...plowed fields, pipelines, roads, timberlands that have been cleared and planted etc.....anywhere there is raw earth that can be checked out. Things to look for in geology is high ground preferably overlooking a creek, river or body of water. Also large springs drew Indians. The main thing is water, always look for a close water source.

Things to look for regarding site location. Look for chips of flint, small fingernail sized and larger pieces of worked rock, like slivers of broken glass, also small pieces of pottery and of course broken points and larger worked (chipped) tools. If you find this material it is most likely you are on a site of some type...village, camp or other.

Always have permission to surface hunt before you go onto property. It will save you heartache later and insure goodwill with land owners.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Very well put Atlantis!!!!!!!!! I must add one thing ,,,Patience,,, Took me months to find my first arrow head ,,,That was almost 40 yrs ago.. been addicted ever since..Have Hunted for just about every thing you can look for .. plus..But to me Holding a arrow head in my hand,,,,, nothing compares to it !!!!! Just wondering what this man looked like ??? Who made this arrow head, And how he lived ? If only this point could talk???
Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simon

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I remember when I wanted to find just one arrowhead. I thought it would be so cool to have a necklace made with one. I searched for about 3 to 4 years on shorelines when I fished at a lake where my fathers friend had found many. I couldnt even find a chip. It seem the problem was I didnt know what to look for. I was taken on a arrowhead hunt by a experienced artifact hunter and it wasnt long before I started to learn how to eye different materials that the indians use in this area. It seemed like everyone that day found some type of artifact but me. I was surely feeling down when I was told to get in the boat as it was time to leave. I was ready to push the boat out when I looked down and spotted my first arrowhead. It was pure white and just a tad over a inch long and undamaged. From that day , about 14 years ago I have found many as the artifact addiction took over. I can say Ive enjoyed every mintue of it.....1 leads to 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and on and on and on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions