How to identify a Civil War sword???

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have a lead on an old sword that is for sale.

I understand that there are many people who have devoted their lives to studying Civil War swords, and I clearly understand that a single thread will never come close to knowing and identifying CW weapons.

At the same time, this sword has a look to it that tells me that this is a 19th century weapon. it is missing it's scabbard, but the hilt is in good shape.

I know I am asking crazy questions:

Are there any easy identifying marks that could point this as a definite CW sword? Maker's marks? Maker's names? Would the name be imprinted on the blade, just like a modern knife or weapon would be?

Again, I know that entire books have been written on CW swords, and this is kinda like asking "Is my Lionel train valuable?" One of my passions in life is post-war Lionel trains, and while it is an in depth topic, there are some basic and easy pointers that can help the novice.

Is the same true for bladed weapons, especially CW swords?

I ask all of this on the one-in-a-million basis that the seller isn't asking a crazy amount...I am pretty sure he has no idea what he has...but I want to make sure I don't miss out if he prices it reasonably.

I know fakes are prevalent in the market, but this one came out of an old, old estate, and the untouched patina is beautiful, so odds are that this is a real antique sword...whatever era it was made.

Thanks!!!!! I appreciate the help!!!!!!! I enjoy learning about this stuff the most, even if I don't get the sword.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread