Mono

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
None.
Primary Interest:
Other
how do I identify silver by weighing silver coins to determine if the coins are silver? I would like to weigh some silver coins to see if the coins are silver, but I'm not sure how to do it. if anyone can tell me this, I would greatly appreciate it. also I have some other silver things, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to identify silver so they can help me with this. thanks.

Mono

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You can't.
Weight will only give you weight, not composition.
Any silver token (replica coin) can be silver plated and alloyed with another metal to produce the actual weight of a real silver coin.
Don...
PS: Welcome to Treasure Net

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google each coin to see if its silver or not- also numista.com is a great source-
Like Mackaydon said weighing a coin wont tell you if its silver

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight can help determine if a coin is genuine or counterfeit however. It's just one determining factor though. As mentioned some counterfeits or replicas can be produced matching genuine coins weights.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a silver coin and flick it in the air like you're trying to do heads or tails with somebody. Silver ones going to make one big difference sound compared to non-silver ones. After you do that a couple times to be able to pick them out of a huge pile in a couple seconds when you get to use of the look.

Aug 6, 2011
Somerset NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett: ACE350, GTI2500, and radio shack models..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinflation.com will give you weights of each individual coin. but the ring test is the best... Simple flick it in the air like Macaydon mentioned. or drop it on a hard surface. Silver will give a higher pitched ring than clad.
Its pretty disstinct. Anytime a cashier hands me change and one of them is silver I can make it out from simply touching other coins...lol
Do you have a silver coin to try it out with..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread