Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still kind of new to selling on Ebay, I sold years ago, but A lot has changed, so I'm relearning. I really don't want to open an Ebay store just yet. I kind of want to test the waters while listing some of my Collection At a high price, if it sells fine, if not who cares, I like the stuff and just stick a price on it I'm willing to sell at. Other stuff is to just get rid of things I'm not going to use or lost interest in to buy more stuff I can't use!:laughing7:

To get to the point....:laughing7: When I list things, I put it in a box,put the ebay number on it, and put it on a shelf. So, I know right where it is and all I have to do is look up the number, and grab the box.

I have a mess now! I relisted, and didn't realize the ebay numbers change when relisting. Not a huge problem for me at the moment since I only have about 30 items on a shelf with 10 that I've relisted so far. What if I had A hundred or more though? I'd like to eventually have a thousand Items on at all times. How are you guys, that are doing volume, keeping track of inventory?

This may sound like a dumb question, But I thought I'd ask here while I'm searching for a solution. I don't want to have to change my numbers each time I relist. It takes up too much time. I have to be doing something wrong!:laughing7: And will an Ebay store solve this problem? I hate to go that route right now, but it would make that part of it a lot easier. I just don't want to go crazy listing stuff then 30 days from now have a Huge unorganized mess.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I keep between 100-200 items listed & sell 20-60 a month. I've got a couple shelf units I keep listed items on & a couple more for unlisted items. I don't pack anything until it sells unless it won't fit into one of the standard boxes I keep in stock. When something sells I pull it off the shelf & box it up.

It doesn't make sense for me to box things prior to a sale. I have free shipping on a lot of my items & I'm a top rated seller. With my TRS postage discount I can ship heavier items regular priority for less than flat rate as long as it's going to the east coast or southeast. If it's going to the west coast it might be cheaper flat rate. I have some things that ship first class and a good bit of the time a customer will buy more than one which means I'd have to unpack & repack.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your own number on the item. Put that # in your Description and you will always be able to relist it using the same number. I have about 130 items on constantly. I also have a store that makes selling so much easier. You can also call eBay for help and recommendations.
I'm still kind of new to selling on Ebay, I sold years ago, but A lot has changed, so I'm relearning. I really don't want to open an Ebay store just yet. I kind of want to test the waters while listing some of my Collection At a high price, if it sells fine, if not who cares, I like the stuff and just stick a price on it I'm willing to sell at. Other stuff is to just get rid of things I'm not going to use or lost interest in to buy more stuff I can't use!:laughing7:

To get to the point....:laughing7: When I list things, I put it in a box,put the ebay number on it, and put it on a shelf. So, I know right where it is and all I have to do is look up the number, and grab the box.

I have a mess now! I relisted, and didn't realize the ebay numbers change when relisting. Not a huge problem for me at the moment since I only have about 30 items on a shelf with 10 that I've relisted so far. What if I had A hundred or more though? I'd like to eventually have a thousand Items on at all times. How are you guys, that are doing volume, keeping track of inventory?

This may sound like a dumb question, But I thought I'd ask here while I'm searching for a solution. I don't want to have to change my numbers each time I relist. It takes up too much time. I have to be doing something wrong!:laughing7: And will an Ebay store solve this problem? I hate to go that route right now, but it would make that part of it a lot easier. I just don't want to go crazy listing stuff then 30 days from now have a Huge unorganized mess.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep between 100-200 items listed & sell 20-60 a month. I've got a couple shelf units I keep listed items on & a couple more for unlisted items. I don't pack anything until it sells unless it won't fit into one of the standard boxes I keep in stock. When something sells I pull it off the shelf & box it up.

It doesn't make sense for me to box things prior to a sale. I have free shipping on a lot of my items & I'm a top rated seller. With my TRS postage discount I can ship heavier items regular priority for less than flat rate as long as it's going to the east coast or southeast. If it's going to the west coast it might be cheaper flat rate. I have some things that ship first class and a good bit of the time a customer will buy more than one which means I'd have to unpack & repack.

I don't pack the items until the sale is final, I learned that lessen the first week, just like you mentioned above, multiple sales to one person. Then say "oh crap", Just wasted more tape. I just use small boxes as a way to keep track of items, and so they stack neatly on the shelf. Right now I'm doing pocket watch movements, after about ten listed, it starts getting confusing! So it's a lot easier to have boxes with a number on the side. And in the future might do coins. So, I can see where I might run into a problem with organization and locating the Item. Everything starts looking the same! Coins could go into envelopes with numbers too.

If I do my own number? Then when it comes to shipping information and Paypal information, they use the Ebay Item number. Maybe there is no solution and I'll just have to back track through numbers? Just trying to think ahead.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your own number on the item. Put that # in your Description and you will always be able to relist it using the same number. I have about 130 items on constantly. I also have a store that makes selling so much easier. You can also call eBay for help and recommendations.

Thats what I'll end up doing. But do you run into any confusion, between paypal, and shipping info? I guess I'm just trying to think of any problems I'll run into ahead of time.:laughing7: Maybe I'm over thinking this and making it more complicated than it is! I do that sometimes!:laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I sold an item once and had to refund him because I couldn't find it. I do fine until I start rearranging things when I go to straightening up my "ebay room". I don't usually have more than 50 items listed at any one time so most things are in one of a few boxes that are specifically for items listed on ebay. If I did it full time with more volume I would use my own numbering system like the one mentioned previously.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Never any Issue. PayPal is tied directly to that item you sold. It will show you your original listing on the invoice. If you have say the #100 in the Description Title than the Invoice on PayPal will show that # also. I will help you all I can. I love eBay I average around 35K a year. You need to keep accurate records because if you sell over 200 items or 20K in a year you and Uncle Sam will get a form to claim your profits. By having a Store eBay will have a monthly breakdown of your fees.
Thats what I'll end up doing. But do you run into any confusion, between paypal, and shipping info? I guess I'm just trying to think of any problems I'll run into ahead of time.:laughing7: Maybe I'm over thinking this and making it more complicated than it is! I do that sometimes!:laughing7:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I still jewelry, and I have a system that works for me. I have a stack of small storage bins. Gold goes in one, silver in the next. Silpada and watches go in the third one. Then vintage, and finally modern.
The only time I get confused is when something fits into two categories. I had issues with both silver and gold items, until I stuck anything with gold in the gold box.
That said, I panicked this last week when I could not find the liberty dime bracelet I sold. Checked every bin. Rechecked, and finally found it buried in the vintage one. My thinking must have been, well, they are 1929 dimes, vintage. When it sold, I was thinking, they are in sterling silver. I had up to 165 listed, and this works for me. I do click on the auction and double check pictures. Plus, I try not to list similar items. I wait until one sells.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
39 to 60 008.JPG How about a numbering system and then small plastic bags. Put the number on the bag and put the item in the bag? This works for me
I still jewelry, and I have a system that works for me. I have a stack of small storage bins. Gold goes in one, silver in the next. Silpada and watches go in the third one. Then vintage, and finally modern.
The only time I get confused is when something fits into two categories. I had issues with both silver and gold items, until I stuck anything with gold in the gold box.
That said, I panicked this last week when I could not find the liberty dime bracelet I sold. Checked every bin. Rechecked, and finally found it buried in the vintage one. My thinking must have been, well, they are 1929 dimes, vintage. When it sold, I was thinking, they are in sterling silver. I had up to 165 listed, and this works for me. I do click on the auction and double check pictures. Plus, I try not to list similar items. I wait until one sells.

Last edited:

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's what I do and it may help. I ship all jewelry in gift boxes placed inside of 6x9 padded mailers. Every time I list, I put the item in its little box and put the box in a mailer. On the envelope, where the peel and stick flap folds down and sticks I write the name of the item - "Turq Panel Bracelet" for instance. This is analogous to the item title. (The handwriting gets covered by the flap when it sticks down). They then get filed into a box, (I use Ikea DVD storage boxes) upright, like file folders. When it sells, I go to the box (I have three, onc for bracelets, one for earrings and rings and one for other), rifle through until I find the envelope, pull it, print the label, attach everything and I'm done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions